Saturday, June 10, 2023

The break comes to an end

We had no fosters since Dakota and Fargo were adopted back in mid-May. But we have had Killian, Cosmo, Daisy, and Maze at various times during the foster hiatus so we were not entirely without "extra" dogs. That hiatus ended today, however, when I picked up Kirtley. 

I feel like he really needs no introduction. He's a lab, and that pretty much says everything there is to say or know about Kirtley. He's big and strong and seems to lack any leash training, but he's sweet and friendly. He pulled me to my van after I took him out of his crate at Green Dogs and he immediately climbed into the crate in the van after I discouraged him from climbing into the front seat of the van. He met Maya and Elvis first when we got him and it was clear that he had no issues with other dogs. I didn't know if he had any inclination to jump or climb fence so I put a tag on him and then put him in the dog yard with Elvis and Maze for the afternoon while I worked outside.

He and Maze ran and played very soon after getting acquainted. Della met him too and she was fine with him but I'm saving Paisley for tomorrow to give her a chance to get used to the idea of him being around here. He ate his first meal with extreme enthusiasm, there was never any question of pulling a hunger strike. Apparently there is another foster home lined up for this guy, but I'll have him for a couple of weeks anyway.

He's neutered already, which is great, and fully vaccinated too, which is unusual for a shelter dog. I can't yet say anything about his house manners or how he is being crated, but we'll find out tonight.







No one has touched any of the big red balls since Max has been gone.
I gave it a kick and both dogs ran for it, unsure who should claim it.

Maze decided it was her ball and Kirtley was fine with that.









No comments: