Thursday, June 15, 2023

The calla lilies are in bloom again

I've always wanted to grow calla lilies and I tried a few times, without success. A year or two ago I planted some in some big box planters on Berta's deck. They came back last year, but didn't bloom. I have those big planters boxes in my Garden of the Dogs now and the callas came back again. Although the foliage is beautiful, I was lamenting the fact that mine were once again without blooms and I had no idea what they needed that I wasn't providing. I had always thought of them as a shade plant but recently was told that they needed sun. I walked out to my garden the next day and found them in bloom, much to my surprise. They don't get a lot of sun where they are, but more than they got on Berta's deck and apparently it was enough to bring out some flowers. 



This is a four-tiered planter with small planting cuts around all sides. This year I put in lobelia and creeping jenny and it's doing very well. Lobelia typically doesn't last through the summer around here, but the creeping jenny will keep it green anyway.

The flamingo garden got a late start this year because I planted the cannas from bulbs and didn't get them started as soon as I should. I also planted some zinnias from seed that I'll transplant this weekend and then things will really get underway out there. The sun coleus is off to a great start anyway.





Elvis, Maze, and Kirtley, ready to go back inside.





This doesn't look like much now but I'm very excited by it. One thing that I regret about container gardening is the lack of perennials. This is an 8'x2'x17" raised bed that arrived in a surprisingly small box. I put it together yesterday and today and it will be the start of my perennial garden once I find or buy enough soil to fill it. 

Maya's slender snout is pretty much back to normal now. I am very relieved and very happy.





No comments: