Sunday, April 3, 2022

Farm dog day for all

These perfect spring days are far too few and they go by far too fast. Got to make the most of them. I spent several hours outdoors with all six dogs today, our three - Maya, Max, and Della - plus three fosters - Callie/Hallie, Tilly, and the new guy, Arthur (Artie). I mowed, hauled limbs and branches, and did general spring cleanup. The dogs ran, explored, played, and ran some more. 

By late afternoon they were content to come inside and everyone sacked out for a nap. Except Della, that is. She and I went to Lowes and then went out for another hike. 

All winter long as I'd walk around outside I'd see branches broken off in the storm and dreaded the fact that I'd have to clean them all up some day. They were making the place look rather sad and neglected. Similarly, random stuff got scattered around the yard, sometimes by wind, sometimes by dog, sometimes by me starting a project and not quite finishing it. Today I actually enjoyed the clean up work. It was also one of those days I loved being outside and so did the dogs. Everyone had such a great time out there, it was wonderful to see it in their faces, in their tails, and in their satisfied exhaustion afterward. 

Oh, the new guy, Arthur.  I'm calling him Artie. He's about Maya's size, shape and color. I have mistaken one of them for the other more often than I would admit to Maya. I don't remember his back story right now. He's actually been here for almost a week already. He was rather fearful at first, he is slow to trust, probably for good reason. He is pretty attached to me now, however, and he really likes Maya. He followed her all around the yard and the pasture today. I just hope she's teaching him some of the good things she knows. He doesn't like to be crated, he broke out of one, but I've been able to keep him in a newer, more secure crate at night and when I leave. He and Maya hiked two miles with me on Saturday; he loved it and really wasn't too bad on the leash for a new guy.

I'm not sure if Della really liked having all the other dogs out with us today. My outdoor work time has generally been with just her being the farm dog, and she does have a jealous streak. But we now have fencing around the entire property that is as good as that around the pasture, so I didn't see any reason to exclude the other dogs today. But I took just Della on the end of the day hike so she and I still had some one-on-one time.



Max under clear, blue sky. 
Once the heat and humidity set in the sky is always gray and hazy.

Tilly is great outside, even off leash.
She comes when I call.

I loved having Maya out with me while I was working, but
I didn't see her very often because she was off showing Artie around.

This flowering almond bush doesn't get much care and it hasn't
grown much since I planted it, but it sure is pretty at this time in spring.

Anytime I saw these two, they were always like this, Maya leading him around.
At one time I couldn't locate them and was afraid they had got out. I grabbed
some leashes and walked across the street where the neighbors were out with their dogs.
They weren't there, but they showed up as soon as I got back. They had been out in the pasture.

I opened the back of the van so Della could hang out in there and keep an eye on everyone.

Artie and Maya. His tail isn't quite as pointed, but from the back end they look very similar.

He doesn't have erect ears, but at first glance from a distance, they are very much alike.



Max and Artie

Callie/Hallie.  She's eating canned food now fairly well, but she doesn't like it
when I try to mix in too much of the dry. Consequently, either Maya or Artie have
been getting extra food by cleaning up what she leaves untouched.


I think I've got Max's ears as clean as I can get them. 
He's due for a vet visit so I'll schedule that this week and let them have a go at them.


He really followed her everywhere today. 

Callie/Hallie seemed happier today than I've seen her so far.




Della on the trail this afternoon.









Shorter walks Saturday and Sunday helped up my total miles for the month.
Between predicted rainy weather and work, I don't know how many 
more miles I'll be able to get in this coming week.


No comments: