Saturday, April 2, 2022

A fine spring day

Today was one of those perfect days so rare around here. Clear, cool, blue sky, no humidity, temperatures in the 60s. A perfect day for whatever you want or need to do. I spent a few hours in the morning mowing some grass and picking up limbs that were broken and brought down by the 12" of snow that left us without power back in early January. I have a lot of downed limbs to cut and clean up out in the pasture as well. The grass is growing fast so the mowing made for a big change in appearance. I have more to do tomorrow, but this was a decent start.

Mid-afternoon Della and I went to the Canine Fit Club at Greendogs. It's a fun class with challenges for the dogs, increasing in number and difficulty each week. I really expected Della to say "screw this, I'm out of here" by barking at everyone and making a general nuisance out of herself until I gave in and took her home. Much to my surprise, she actually seemed to enjoy it. Maybe because it was something different, but she behaved herself and got with the program. She doesn't have the level of obedience that the rest of the class displayed, but she actually listened to me, and she enjoyed working for the treats. I have rarely even asked Della to sit and she has done it fewer times than I've asked, but she was doing it today and even "downed" for me, much to my amazement. I couldn't really get pictures of Della doing anything because my hands were busy just handling her. We will try it again next week, but this might have been a one time thing for her. We will see.

I put Della back into the van but I stuck around for the next class before it was final puppy class for Allison's Great Dane litter. I had gone to this class last week as well, but failed to get many pictures, so I went back today for the graduation class. They weren't all there this week so I still didn't get pictures of everyone, but it was great to see them and I think they all remembered me. There were two more former fosters in this class as well, Rufus and Mellie. They also remembered me, but it was clear that both the shepherds and all the Dane puppies were settled and happy in their new homes and very attached to their new humans. That was wonderful to see.




This is the puppy formerly known as Rosa. 
I'm sorry but I can't remember her new name.
She's a beautiful fawn colored coat with a black muzzle,
just like our dear Serena.

This merle beauty is Adele, formerly Eleanor.

This is the puppy formerly known as Harriett, now call Lainey.


The always striking Elliott. 

Elliott is very sweet and he's remarkably well-trained.
He's deaf as a post, but it's not at all obvious.


Adele and Lainey wrestling during class.



This was, and still is, Dolly.

Dolly has a regal stance and a beautiful head.

Rufus and Mellie meeting after class.

Mellie's adopter has continued her diet and exercise program and 
she has lost even more weight. When I first got her, I was amazed that
she could walk with all the weight she was carrying.
I'm really amazed and thrilled about how good she looks now.

And Mellie is now Ellie, I believe.


Elliott is the biggest of the litter still.

Former foster Maddie (formerly Allie) was also in this class
but I get better pictures of her when she drops by the pasture time.


No comments: