Saturday, April 23, 2022

The beginning of gardening 2022 (with dogs)

I finally got started on this year's gardening. Actually I was finishing last year's garden work because I never do fall clean up. Today I went around and pulled out dead plants from all the containers, moved some around, and blew out the leaves that had accumulated since last fall. I love this time of year when I think about and plan what I want to plant and where, what changes to make from last year, and think of new plans and projects.

My pictures don't really show any of that, because all they would show are empty pots. I had dogs out with me all day, of course, and everyone had a good dose of sunshine. Not being a complete idiot, I did not take Tucker Carlson's advice on testicle tanning. 

You'll notice a second harlequin Dane in today's pictures. The Proctor family has gone off for a week in a cabin so we have Killian with us for a week. He is just as sweet as he can be. Della seems ok with having him back for a while, Tilly likes him, Maya and Max are ok with him too. 

Vger finally met Della today, outside and off leash, and they were ok. He had already been with Maya. I'll probably try Tilly with him next, and if he does well we'll move on the Max and maybe Killian. I think he's relaxing around here and he has certainly learned the routine movements and crating such that I don't need to use a leash with him. He was in Daneland today while I was gardening with the other dogs, but I put them up after I fed them and then took Vger and Della out to the pasture for some ball time. Della doesn't care anything about chasing a tennis ball and that's best because I don't think Vger would want the competition.



There's a lot of pictures of Tilly sitting with her mouth open
and her tongue hanging out to the side. That's her "pet me I'm a puppy" look.

Vger is staring at the tennis ball he has dropped in front of me for a throw.

As farm dog, Della is always with me outside, but a lot of other dogs were as well today.
She supervised and kept an eye on everyone.

Tilly is always happy and always close by.

Maya was outside for quite a while and she showed Killian around,
but she wanted to go inside for a nap so I didn't get a lot of pictures of her today.

Tilly, being friendly


Killian in the back of the van on our way home.

Della and Maya meeting Killian

Killian meeting Tilly


Della and Killian cooling in the shade

He's quite a big bigger than Della.

Della, Killian, and Tilly

Tilly wanted to play with him immediately.


Killian, Tilly, and Max



This was only a short section of a play session between Della and Tilly.
The great thing about it was that Della initiated it. 


Buttercups are my favorite Virginia wildflower. My best patch of them is in the dog yard.

Della and Vger


Vger lived with a small dog in his former home, but he has seemed a bit
fearful and defensive with the big dogs here. He was just recently neutered
so hopefully he will settle down more as his testosterone level drops.
He has met Maya and Della now, but I'm not sure how he'll be with male dogs.



He has learned the routines around here and is fully with the program. He comes when called,
goes out to Daneland and back to the house without need of a leash now.
He's good indoors and fine being crated at night.

He loves playing ball.


1 comment:

Rachel said...

I can't believe Tilly hasn't been adopted yet. She's gorgeous and seems like such a sweet girl.

Vger seems like a good dog too.

I love seeing posts about them.