Friday, October 19, 2012

Donations

Babe, still an awesome dog
A lot of things get donated to me for help with the dogs.  Dog food is the most common, and the most needed.  I've never really attempted to track how much dog food we go through around here for the fosters.  It's the same reason I don't keep track of how many miles per gallon I get in the van.  When you need more, you get more, how fast you've gone through it doesn't really matter in the end.  People donate partial bags of food that their own dogs didn't eat, stores donate food they want to get off the shelves, groups with excess donated food pass it along, and people even buy bags of food to give to me or even cash with which I can buy it myself.  Consequently, I rarely need to buy food for the foster dogs, and thank you to everyone who makes that so.


Vince, in his spot at my feet,
under my desk.  This dog is
NEVER out of sight.

I also have a constantly growing collection of bowls, collars, shampoos, toys, and assorted canine ephemera.  Most of that stuff comes along with owner surrender dogs or from owners whose dogs have died.  I use what I can and pass the rest of it along when I can to someone else who can use it.  Shelters are often grateful for collars and leashes since they take in so many strays that have nothing.


Lady has filled out and looks good.
Apparently the prior owners just weren't feeding her.


The list of donated dog products includes everything imaginable (dog houses, crates, kennels, beds, sweaters, sheets and blankets) and many things you wouldn't ever think of or imagine.  Over the years I could have collected enough stuff to open a second hand PetSmart.  I nearly always take whatever anyone is offering, because even if I don't need it, I might need it in the future or know someone else who does.  And besides, you don't want to turn down donations from well-meaning people, especially if it's coming from someone whose dog has died.  They are trying to help and trying to heal themselves from the loss of beloved friend and family member.

 


A rare pic of Cabell who was busy drinking
so he didn't run and  hide from the camera.
Yesterday, however, was one of those "just when you thought you've heard it all" moments.  Clay received an email from someone at the UVA School of Nursing offering good fresh ribs for dogs.  My first thought was: "Yes, of course we want them, but why for the dogs?  We like ribs ourselves."  The offer came from someone at the UVA School of Nursing.  The ribs had been used for students to practice the insertion of chest tubes.  They are clean and still quite edible but somehow I no longer wanted to eat them ourselves.  The dogs, however, will love them.


The pictures here are just random shots of the household dogs taken this morning.


Trooper, on a foggy morning, atop his watch tower.
He's been very busy keeping us safe from trucks lately
as a cell phone tower is going up on the property behind us.










Clay is home sick so Zach grabbed the coveted wing
chair spot in the front room next to Clay.


My Gigi
Bremo, without a pear this morning.  The tree is getting bare,
but I expect he will get one later today.




 



2 comments:

jennifer q said...

Lady looks incredible!!! I love my boy on the watchtower!!!

Anonymous said...

I love all the pics especially of dainty Ms. Gigi! Poor Lady! I got queasy thinking of her not being fed enough. I am so glad she has you!!! God bless.