Monday, October 15, 2012

Babe

I was supposed to stop at the shelter in Orange on my way home yesterday to pick up a white shepherd.  It was a 12 hour trip by the time I got home Sunday so I knew I wouldn't feel like dealing with a new dog at that point.  Besides, bringing in a new dog in the evening always seems more difficult.  So I waited until Monday morning and drove back up to Orange to spring Babe from the shelter. 

She's probably 6-8 years old, pure white, very pretty, although white shepherds are not really my cup of tea.  Her owner died and the family didn't want the dog and dumped her at the shelter.  Great thanks for giving an old man companionship and loyalty in the last years of his life, eh? 

She's a nice girl, good with dogs, and apparently lived with an indoor cat.  I hope I can find her another foster home.  I tried her outdoors with Hank and Lana.  She was fine with them, but clearly didn't want to stay outside.  I finally relented for the sake of my own sanity and quiet in the neighborhood, and brought her inside.  She was fine with everyone, followed me upstairs, and finally relaxed enough to settle onto a dog bed and fall asleep. 

Babe got a raw deal by outliving an owner who had assholes for children.  Of course, he may have been one himself.  Babe is better off being out of that family entirely, but she's not a young girl and may not have a lot of folks clamoring to adopt her.  At least it seems that she will be a fairly easy foster, as long as she is kept inside. 






6 comments:

Julie Garrou said...

Awww. She looks so sweet. I bet she is so sad and confused. I always wonder what dogs think when their lives are suddenly turned upside down.

Anonymous said...

She looks so precious! I hope people realise that she deserves a good home and don't base their decision on her age.

Jennifer Q said...

"not exactly my cup of tea" -- I feel the same way, but after seeing the last picture of her curled up on her bed, I have a sudden soft spot for this girl.

Glad she's with you now, I feel sad for her.

Katya said...

She's a cutie! Looks like a big fluff ball! I hope people realize the benefits of having an older dog (not a puppy)..
It was nice meeting you at the reunion over the weekend.. I'm fostering Majesty and her 9 pups..
Good Luck with Babe, she's beautiful!

Kathy said...

She is stunning and we would love to meet her. Honestly, our last two dogs were older dogs and we kind said to ourselves that maybe we should get a puppy this time. It's tough having lost two dogs in two years (an almost 16 yr. old mix, and an 8 yr. old gs.), but when you see a dog like Babe you just want to take her in and give her what she needs- a family that cares about her. Babe does look like a "fluff ball." She reminds me of our last two dogs put together.

BudsBuddy said...

Babe does look beautiful, and I'm sure she would repay her adopters many times over.