Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fonzie, Groot, and Chloe at Front Royal

Fonzie
Sunday was my first adoption event with Promises Animal Rescue. It was at the Petco in Front Royal where I've been many times with VGSR. Not a big crowd today but a good location and I saw a lot of rescue friends that I haven't seen in quite a while. We had a good time.

I took Fonzie to meet his intended foster home. I was really just completing his transport. I can't say enough good things about this dog. He's young, not that much older than Groot, but he's calm, civilized, socialized, well-behaved. It occurred to me on the drive up that he might have been a possible candidate for Service Dogs of Virginia if I had thought to take him in for evaluation during the week that I had him.
Fonzie should be an easy placement, and an
easy foster until he is placed.

He went to a great foster home and he will find a wonderful permanent adoptive home, I'm sure. He was good with all the dogs he met today, and the people, and kids, etc. He's a dog with a very solid temperament, which is not that common in German Shepherds.
Fonzie with a lab puppy who is also
with Promises.

Groot was Groot. He was sweet, friendly, and jumped on everyone. With Fonzie gone now, I need to start working on him a bit.

The puppy is adorable.
Fonzie meeting Chloe. She rolled over
for him but also snarled at him a bit
at the same time. Mixed messages.  
I took Ochie along because someone had contacted me about wanting to meet him. She came and I liked her. She's thinking about it but isn't entirely sold on Ochie, which I can understand, he's pretty high strung/neurotic. I learned something from her though. She handled him by ignoring him until he settled, then praised him. Her demeanor was calm and that is a better, certainly more effective, way of dealing with him than what I have, which is usually to yell at him. Ochie and I are not a good mix.
Chloe is a sweet, pretty little girl,
even if a bit of a bitch.

My former foster Chloe was at today's event as well. She's also with another foster home with Promises. Sweet girl, I like her, but apparently she has some issues with resource guarding.

Groot was good today.
Long drive, but a good day.




Chloe and Groot






Fonzie and Groot. They have been
buddies around here for the past week.
I am Groot.































We will miss Fonzie around here, but he is in a better foster home tonight where he will be closer to being adopted, and I have a new rottie coming tomorrow.


No comments: