Monday, October 20, 2014

Three dogs walking

I had hiked over 10 miles on Sunday and I was feeling it today. I knew I had to get back out there though, but I wasn't sure I was up for a fast Sparky five miler. A daily Maya hike is pretty much mandatory it seems. At least I can't walk another dog unless she's already had hers, or unless someone is home to keep an eye on her. She can now open the bedroom door, which involves turning the knob. She can also get into kitchen cabinets as we found out recently. So I started out by taking Maya out for about 4.4 miles. I was hoping that would satisfy her and placate her sufficiently so that I could take another dog.

I took Dolly for the second leg of my hike, and we did about two miles. She was very excited and very happy to go. I had brought her in the house last night and let her occupy one of the crates in the kitchen along with Max, Ochie, Charlie, and Groot. When I took her outside the morning she acted as if something was wrong. She didn't want to move and she stayed in close contact with the ground. She ate normally, but she didn't look happy, until I brought her back inside. She had been a housedog at some point in her life but was relegated to life outdoors on a chain for the past however many years. She clearly liked being back indoors and I think she was just upset when I took her back out this morning. She was more than willing to go for a hike and she enjoyed it. When we got back I put her in her kennel just long enough to eat and then let her back into the dog yard. She seemed ok with that, but I know she will be anxious to come back inside this evening.
























We went down to the river but she
did not have any interest in wading.


Maya hadn't done anything destructive while I was off with Dolly, so I thought I'd try again. For the third hike I took Gigi, who was less than enthusiastic about it. I had to drag her out of the van, lifting one foot at a time because she had no intention of cooperating with what she thought was a foolish, ill-advised outdoor adventure, far away from the comfort of her home and bed. But once we got going, she walked along fairly well, although she was nearly always trailing me. We only did a little over a mile, but that was far enough for her and it brought my total for the day to 7.5 miles, which isn't a bad follow up to the day before.





7.5 miles for the day











No comments: