Wednesday, October 8, 2014

"I do"



I don't know if it's because of the 18 year engagement or the fear that somehow the right to marry would soon slip away, but once we had the license we didn't waste any time.

Clay knew someone whose husband is a judge. As it happened, he was going to be in Fluvanna County on Wednesday afternoon and was prepared to conduct the ceremony. Clay was due to go out of town on Thursday and we really had no idea when, where, or how we would do it, so we just jumped at the chance.

My friend Tricia who had been with us the day before getting the license came along again. She was taking pictures and writing a story on it for the local paper. (I half expect a shit storm of fundamentalists to be protesting at the end of our driveway when the paper comes out, but we will see.)


The judge was wonderful, and here is what he said:

Clay and Brent:

I ask that you both remember to treat yourself and each other with dignity and respect; to remind yourself often of what brought you together today. 
Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your marriage deserves. When frustration and difficulty assail your marriage - as these do to every relationship at one time or another - focus on what still seems right between you, not only the part that seems wrong. 
This way, when clouds of trouble hide the sun in your lives and you lose sight of it for a moment, you can remember that the sun is still there. And if each of you will take responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will 
be marked by abundance and delight.

It was lovely, short, simple, uncomplicated, perfect for us.


Thank you.
Tricia, Dog love her, came long, took pictures,
brought flowers, and even sang our favorite song,
MCC's "Why Walk When You Can Fly."






6 comments:

Barbara Christoff (Angie's mom) said...

I love what the judge said. Words to live by! Great reminder to me.

Kim Rothe Gibson said...

I am so very happy for you two! May your marriage be as happy as your engagement! Know that I love you both!

Kim Rothe

Emily said...

Congratulations, Brent and Clay. I'm so happy for you both.
Love, Emily, Rikku and River

Mary Robinson said...

I cannot express the extent of my happiness for you. It's beyond words. The best I've got at the moment is Spock: Live long and prosper. And aside from that being ridiculously geeky and weird, it still doesn't cover it. I am so happy you together have such a profound love and commitment, and that it can finally be expressed and validated formally.

Risa said...

Tears of joy on your behalf. What a perfect day!

Pattie said...

Congratulations!