Thursday, September 24, 2015

Ears and other issues

Jasso may be deaf, but his nose works well.
Jasso had badly infected ears and he apparently had a long history of chronic ear infections that left him deaf. He went back to the vet today for another treatment on his ears. They were better but still had some gunk (that's a technical term), and he certainly looked better overall. I was disappointed, however, that he didn't seem to have gain any weight! He's been eating well, very well, both in terms of quantity and quality of food. It was pointed out to me, however, that he had a significant amount of edema previously, and that was now gone. So perhaps he had lost the accumulated fluids and replaced the weight with real meat on his bones. If that's the case then he should be gaining weight now so I'll check him again in a couple of weeks and hope for some significant gains. If I ate like this dog has been eating, I would have gained 50 pounds in the past week.
At least Jasso is good with the vet techs when
they work on his ears. Vince is another story.
This is not a good photograph, but it is a very
significant one because it shows Jasso jumping
up into the van on his own. I always had to lift
him up before. He's stronger even if he hasn't
put on much weight yet.

Our other dog with significant ear issues right now is Vince. I accidently kicked one of his ears the other day when I was moving my legs to get up because Vince is always laying right under my feet. He yelped and cried like I've never heard him, obviously in pain, and he did it again if another dog bumped into his head or brushed by his ear. Vince is the last dog you want to have ear issues because he's really difficult to help when he's scared or in pain. I've got him on some antibiotics and pain meds, hoping it will ease up enough that he'll let me wash it out and treat it directly.

Gigi doesn't have ear problems, but she barfed a few times and is off her feed, so she's been fasting for 36 hours and I cooked some chicken and rice tonight that I'll try giving her tomorrow morning. I've got another vet appointment for a week from tomorrow for whoever needs it when the time comes.

After the vet visit I got Maya, Max, Theo, and Trooper out for a hike. We only had time for 4.5 miles before it was too dark.










No comments: