Friday, June 17, 2016

Dog in need of a new home

We have all bemoaned the fact that dogs don't live as long as we'd like, and living with dogs means that we occasionally have to see them die.  It's heart-breaking, we've all been there.  However, I could make a good argument that it's a bigger tragedy when the dogs outlive us.  The dog is left without a human companion and provider in a whole where they are completely dependent upon one.  Friends or family will hopefully step in to give the dog a home, but that's not always the case and they often end up in shelters or abandoned.

Adrian is in this situation, but is fortunate that a friend took her in with the promise to find her a new home.  She contacted me yesterday seeking help with that endeavor.  If anyone sees this who is interested in adopting Adrian, please contact me (vadogrescue@gmail.com) and I can put you in touch with Adian's caretaker.

This is what she had to say about the dog:

"She is a dog who loves to hike, walk or just sit out in the sun.  It’s a good idea to keep a wading pool nearby so that she can take a dip and indulge her lab side.  She likes to visit us in bed, but always ends up in her bed or on the living room loveseat.  She is very affectionate.  Not a fetcher, but definitely likes water and the mountains. Completely house-trained.  Loves to ride in the car." 



I've forgotten the age, but I think she is about five years old maybe?  She's a young adult, past the puppy stage, but with many good years ahead.  She's spayed but her vaccines are not current, although that can be easily remedied.

I have not yet met the dog myself, I was just contacted by the woman who is seeking a new home for her friend's surviving dog.  I can meet the dog and pass along any further information if that would help.  The dog is located in Charlottesville, VA.  









6 comments:

KM said...

I am a friend of Adrian's mom, who passed away in May, and experienced with companion animal behaviouralism. I wanted to add this info for those who have other companion animals in their home already: because her mom traveled, Adrian has often stayed multiple overnights with various dog sitters with multiple dogs, and enjoys being social with other dogs. She has also visited my home, where I have dogs and cats, and while not experienced at living with cats, she did not demonstrate any strong prey drive toward them.

Brent said...

Thank you for that information.

Anonymous said...

What kind of dog is she?

Brent said...

She's a lab mix of some sort. What she's mixed with, I don't know.

Unknown said...

I recently lost my dog of 10 years, and am looking for a doggie companion. I actually work with a mutal friend of her past owner (Jenny)

Brent said...

Send me an email and I can put you in touch with the current owner of the dog. It sounds like the dog has a possible placement, but they won't know for sure until next week.