Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Colin joins the indoor pack

Colin as been here since last Wednesday, actually, but he's been chilling in the kennel with Clyde until today. I'm glad to say that he has not picked up Clyde's cough. I took him to the vet today for an initial exam, vaccines, tests, etc. He tested negative for heart worms and all the tick diseases, yay! He was a good patient other than being squirmy. He weighed just over 51 pounds and the vet thinks he's about 9-10 months old. He's underweight still, but he's been wormed now and he's being fed three times a day. His weight has some catching up to do, and he still has some growing to do, but I don't think he will be a really large shepherd.

His fur is still fine and soft like a puppy's,
but I realized here how dirty he was.
Colin is a completely blank slate. He's never been taught to sit, or anything else from what I can tell. When we got home from the vet I gave him a bath in the tub and he was actually pretty good about that. Then I put him together with Coco. I think they will play well together when Colin learns how to play.

I asked for the first available neuter appointment and it's tomorrow, Thursday, so Colin will be taking another big step towards adoption tomorrow. I've got him in a crate next to Coco in my office this evening and so far he seems content. Colin is available for adoption through Promises Animal Rescue, see the website for the application form and information about adoption.
He was a squirmy, but good patient. I'm
sure he had never seen a vet before.





Meeting Mercedes getting out of the van when
we got back home.

A shepherd sandwich,
Colin between Trooper and Mercedes.

The folks who brought him to me had given him a bath, so
it wasn't his first, but he needed another.



I had to lift him in of course, but he didn't fight
to get out and he even sat down.

I've certainly had more difficult first baths.




Coco is the closest to his age so I really hope
they will play well together. It would be good
for both of them.
Another shepherd sandwich.
Colin between Maya and TJ.


There's nothing wrong with Colin that some time, love, training, and
good food can't fix, but make no mistake, he will need all these things.

2 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

What a precious boy! I LOVE the pic of him being toweled off! That is just an awesome pic!!

Andrea said...

Yes, that towel pic is perfect! Such a cutie!