Monday, September 10, 2018

Meeting the Small Ones

Cats are pretty much ubiquitous in the world today. It's best if dogs get along with them. It's best for the cats, of course, and best for dogs too, because it increases their adoption potential. I consider small dogs to be in pretty much the same category as cats, they are potential prey, so it's always good to know if a big dog has much of a prey drive.
Harvey had to bend down a bit to get a closer look.

I took my two available fosters, Harvey and Mercedes. We first stopped at Erika's place to meet the creature she calls CatDog. It's small and fluffy enough that it's not always obvious which end is the head. Mercedes is always keen to meet dogs that we encounter while walking. I don't allow it as a rule but I wanted to see how she would be meeting a new dog, especially a small one. She was excited and happy to see it, but absolutely non-aggressive. Harvey was the same, although he was a bit confused as to what it was.

Mercedes was fine with the little one.
The picture is a bit blurry, but you really can't tell
which end is the head, or even if it's a dog.



Heading on to meet the cat next.


Clay's mother has a cat who generally likes dogs. I'm not sure if the cat could really sense a threat, but at least she doesn't run and hide when meeting a dog so it gives me a chance to judge the dog's reaction.
Mercedes soon turned her attention to looking
for crumbs on the kitchen floor.

Mercedes was fine. She had been with cats in the temporary foster home before she came here, so I thought everything would be fine. Mercedes is good with everything it seems.

It took Harvey a while to see the cat as an animate being because the cat is small, black, and didn't move much. When he finally realized it was alive he was curious. I had the impression that he didn't know much, if anything, about cats.





















They were close and he wasn't trying to pull
towards the cat, but he didn't really seem to
know what he was supposed to do.
I think Harvey will fulfill anyone's pet needs
without leaving room for cats.









I didn't really see prey drive and a dog-savvy cat and a savvy owner could probably deal
with the situation with some training, but I wouldn't call him certified cat safe.

He was very behaved during our visit.




No comments: