Saturday, September 8, 2018

Mercedes, Looking for Another Love Story

What can you say about an 11 year old girl who was dumped? That she is beautiful and brilliant? That she loves meal times and hikes, all people, and me?
Look at that smile, and the tail waggins so fast
that's it blurry. And this was at the vet's office!

Her family moved away and left her behind, thinking she was too old to be worth the effort, apparently. The stupidity of that thought exceeds even its callousness. Mercedes is the easiest dog I've ever fostered or owned, bar none. The day I picked her up she moved into our home as if she'd always been here. She is the only dog I've ever trusted outdoors and off leash on the first day. She's the only dog who was ever granted bedroom privileges by our resident dogs on the first day. She has never had an accident in the house and has never chewed or torn up anything. She has never been crated because she never needed to be.

She immediately attached herself to me and has acquired the nickname "Shadow." Yet, she exhibits absolutely no separation anxiety when I'm gone. She has eaten every piece of food put in front of her from the very first day, no German Shepherd hunger strike, not even a "what is this stuff?" look when presented with new food.

I hate to oversell the girl, but Mercedes is the closest thing to a perfect dog I've seen in a very long time, maybe ever. And it's because she's 11 years old. She has aged to perfection. Yes, she's a senior dog, but she's in good shape, is capable of being very active, but no more active than you want her to be. Even if you only have a few years with this dog, they will be some of the best dog years you ever experience. Why don't we keep her? We will, of course, unless and until a better home can be found, but we mostly keep the problem dogs, misfits and rejects who are otherwise unadoptable. Mercedes is, quite frankly, too good for us.

If you've ever thought about adopting a senior, let's talk. I can tell you that it's one of the most rewarding experiences in rescue. Mercedes and I can be reached at vadogrescue@gmail.com.















3 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

This post made me cry- in a good way. You captured the beauty of a senior pup perfectly. I am going to disagree with you though- you and Clay deserve the best! So there is no such thing as anyone being too good for you:-)

Unknown said...

Brent. I am almost 90 percent sure I trained this dog many years ago :(

Brent said...

Where was it? If so, you did a great job, she's an awesome dog, incredibly well-behaved.