Sunday, October 27, 2019

Night time sleeping positions

Serena and Maya were in position when Della decided to
settle down in between them, a flagrant violation of the
one dog per bed rule. Della makes a lot of her own rules.
When Vince was alive he slept on the dog bed closest to me on my side of the room. That was Vince's bed and he had very strong feelings about that. He believed in one dog per bed, and he especially believed that no one else should ever be on his bed. If another dog got in Vince's spot I'd have to make that dog move because otherwise Vince would pace around all night long, he would not use another bed. He also objected to any part of another dog encroaching onto his bed from the adjacent bed. Rules are rules and Vince was a stickler for bedroom rules.

This is the smallest bed in the house. I set it up for Maya
under my desk thinking that no other dog would use it.
I was wrong.
Because Vince's bed was so exclusively his, it went vacant and unused for a while after he died. Eventually Serena took it over. Like Vince, she thinks that's her spot and prefers to have it to herself, but she will use the adjacent bed if another dog (usually Della) grabs it first. The rule against encroachment has been completely abolished, mostly because Great Dane legs need more room when they feel like stretching out. Della also flouts the one dog per bed rule and often moves in to "share" when a second dog is already in her spot. It's a good thing that Vince wasn't here when the house was overrun by these lawless Danes. He would not have been a happy dog.




This is Della doing the upside down
twisted sprawl.
It does not look like a comfortable position.





The position I really don't understand is the head on the
floor position. Makes my neck hurt just to look at it.

Mo-Dean was with us during the day last Thursday. I went
into the bedroom and sat down and he popped up onto the
bed and settled down. I suspect he does this at home.

All my girls seem to want to be on my side of the room at night. It used to be just the two Danes
but now Maya has taken to moving in and sharing any empty space left between Della and Serena.
I'm just glad they all get along.

1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

Love the pics- So happy all the girls are getting along!