Thursday, September 15, 2022

Elvis is in the building

Remember Rufus and Mellie?  Rufus was a former foster. Their owner moved into a care facility and the dogs needed to be re-homed. I took them both because Rufus was my responsibility and Mellie was a sweet girl who needed my help too. They both found great new homes. That experience had started with a phone call from a woman who was managing the health care and living arrangements for the owner. Well, I got another call from that woman yesterday.

This time it wasn't anyone I knew, it wasn't anyone I had adopted to, and the dogs weren't my former fosters. But at least this time the woman was only looking for a placement for one dog. The owner had been hospitalized and isn't expected to be able to return home due to dementia. The care agency had gotten a vet out to examine and vaccinate all the animals, which included two other dogs, one or more cats, and a horse or two. They were also suffering neglect to some extent but the vet did vaccines, and flea treatment. I don't think there was a heartworm test done but I need to check. Situations were found for the other animals and Elvis came to me late this afternoon. I expect he will be available for adoption at some point.

I didn't have much information when I took him, hadn't even seen a picture, but when I met him today I was surprised how similar he looks compared to Paisley. I've decided they should be friends; I hope they will see likewise. I'm told that Elvis is deaf, and indeed he does not seem to react to sounds. I've seen Erika do the deaf dog hand signal often enough that I tried it on him and he sat right down. 

He's a little insecure right now and he attached himself to me very quickly. His house manners are good. I expect he's never been crated but I'll give that a try tonight next to Paisley and see how it goes.

This was my first meeting with Elvis. He came right up to me wagging his tail.


He has met Della (she came with me to pick him up), 
Paisley, Maya, and Max so far. 


He's got Paisley's coloring but not as much brown on his coat.
He has black eyeliner around one eye.

He parked himself next to me while I was making dinner.

He has a cute, happy little face.

And he was smart enough to attach himself to me quickly.

He did a nice sit when I gave him the hand signal.

I think he's going to be a good foster dog.

No comments: