Thursday, September 1, 2022

Puppies and Paisley

I don't remember the last time that we had three dogs under a year of age who weren't part of the same litter. Adelaide, Olivia, and Quinlynne shared Daneland today along with Paisley. I was planning to keep Quinlynne inside for the most part, but after being crated next to Adelaide last night she wasn't happy being separated from her today. So I took Quinlynne out to Daneland to join the puppy fest and brought Paisley back indoors, thinking that four females was one too many. 

Paisley has been staying outside for the last week along with Olivia and I wanted to get her back in before she turned feral on us again. It took a little time with that much puppy activity going on, but eventually I got Paisley to come to me so I could leash her. I think she was happy to be away from the young ones although she's really done very well with them. The wound on her side is finally closing up. I think in about a week or so it will be healed. Her antibiotics (the second round) are about gone but I got some medicinal honey (ointment and a spray) that I started applying today that is supposed to help heal wounds.

The three pups seemed to have a good time out there. I changed the water in their water tank. Olivia is in it pretty constantly and Adelaide was always partly wet so I think she uses it a lot too. Quinley was a bit uncertain around them at first, but that didn't last long. She likes them so much that she wouldn't eat her food when I separated her from the others at evening feeding time. Adelaide isn't much on eating either unless you stay with her and tell her to eat. I don't have time for that nonsense. They will probably eat better tomorrow and hopefully will get with the program soon. I'm pretty sure they will be tired enough to sleep well tonight and they should be hungry come morning.

I ended the day with another walk with Della and Adelaide. We got started a little earlier than yesterday and went a little farther with the extra daylight. We stopped so Della could greet and be adored by a group of people at the ballfield. Adelaide wasn't sure what to think of strangers and she hung back close to me. That was fine with Della, she just soaked up all the attention she could get. At the end of the walk we scared up four young deer who flew across our route. Della was interested but didn't go crazy or try to drag me after them. Adelaide pulled more than Della but they were out of sight so quickly that it wasn't any problem.

Quinnlynne and Olivia

With a new puppy toy

Della checking out her missing tail.



Paisley and Adelaide

Olivia sitting on the new pup.

It wasn't long before Quinly figured out the play.

I think Paisley was pretty happy to get away from the puppies.

When Olivia is around, there is going to be action.



Here's a non-graphic picture of the wound on Paisley's right rear hindquarter.
It is greatly reduced in size and nastiness from how it looked a few weeks ago.








We got into the woods for part of today's walk.



No comments: