Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Indy's Spay Day

Indigo (left) and Hunter (right) looking
through the open door but refusing to come
on inside. That's still a bit of a problem.
Monday was Indigo's spay day. Not a fun day for her, but an important step forward towards her new life in a new home.
They are more shy together than either of
them is individually. That's why it would
be best if they went to separate homes.

Clay took her in and picked her up at the end of the day. She came home very groggy and immediately crashed on a dog bed in the kitchen. She was still so out of it that I didn't feed her at all that evening. I was planning to leave her down there for the night, but Hunter called for her after I put him in his crate in the office and she trudged up the stairs (contrary to the vet's instructions) and joined him.

She spent the night in a crate in the office. In the morning she was awake but not really anxious to get up. I got her on a leash and walked her slowly and carefully down the stairs to the small yard with Hunter. When I checked back she had gone into the igloo dog house. I got her inside and onto a bed in the kitchen. She still wasn't interested in eating but I put the pain pill in some peanut butter and finally got her to swallow it. I left a bowl of food with her, but Maya jumped the gate and ate it while I was outside watering.

A fecal test showed that Indigo had hookworms, which explains the bad poo they've been producing. I treated Hunter Monday evening and again Tuesday morning. Maya ate Indigo's first dose of wormer this morning so I'll have to try again when she's eating. The other thing we learned from the vet is that Indy is probably younger than the approximately two years that we had been told. The vet said that her reproductive system was still quite small, and it didn't appear that she had even been through a heat cycle yet.

At the vet, nervous, but ok.




When Clay went to pick her up, she stopped and layed down
in the doorway. She seems to have a thing about entering a
new space.
Post-op pic from the vet, sleeping it off.

When she got home she settled onto the nearest bed and
stayed there for the evening.
I hope she will be perked up and feeling better
later today.











No comments: