Friday, March 17, 2023

Best friend

How can you say "no" to your best friend? You can't, or I can't anyway. I received this first picture of Norman Rockwell (previously Rocky) wearing a harness proclaiming him to be a best friend. I didn't doubt it for a minute. 

Norman is the type of dog I like, a big mutt. He reminds me a lot of our late Cabell, and more recently of former foster dog saved from a meat farm in Korea, River. He's said to be 11 months old. He's great with other dogs and good with people, but he has a couple of issues. First, he will not go into a crate. He obviously has never been in one and he just flatly refuses. We got him into one of our big Dane crates Thursday because we were going into town, but it was a major wrestling match and even I would have bet on the dog. When we got back home Thursday evening, I didn't have the strength for another wrestling match so I just left him loose in the office for the night. He was fine. Today I got him into a crate once by putting some canned food into a dish and tossing it to the back of the crate. Once he's in, he's ok with it, but he doesn't want to go.

The other issue is the defense mechanism Norman employs when he doesn't want to do or go wherever I want or need him to go. He plays dead, drops to the ground and become dead weight. And it's a considerable amount of weight.

Late this afternoon I wrestled him into a Gentle Leader and we walked around the yard a bit. He didn't really fight it once it was on, 














1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

He's so handsome! Hopefully he won't be fighting you for long!