Saturday, March 11, 2023

Other happenings

This account will be in no particular order, imitating the randomness of recent events.


Chico was neutered on Thursday. He vomited on Friday after eating breakfast but seemed fine otherwise. Later he had diarrhea as well, outside, thankfully, so he got some Imodium, I stopped the pain pills and trazadone, and he began a fast. Friday night he vomited again in his crate and had another episode of diarrhea, so I spent a couple hours Saturday morning cleaning the crate and that entire corner of the kitchen, which honestly was needing it bad even before the diarrhea. The fast continued but he got another dose of Imodium. 

In spite of the condition of his digestive tract, he was acting normal so I took him to an adoption event at Natural Pet Essentials in Charlottesville. I had the gentle leader on him and he didn't fight it and was really pretty well behaved. He was good with the other dogs and even met a cat. Chico is always very friendly with people even if he doesn't focus on them for more than a second before trying to move on to the next shiny object somewhere other there.

We stayed for almost two hours and then left and drove up to Patch where I ate and had a beer. Chico met some more people and saw several other dogs. He's a dog that you can take anywhere. 





Daisy is a former foster who has been with us before when her mom is out of town and she's back with us again since Wednesday. She's been using the second crate in the kitchen next to Chico that was previously occupied by Kaiya. I've been giving her time in the dog yard alone while she and the other dogs get reacquainted. It's nice to have that fence up again so I have that space to use. 





After getting back home this afternoon and giving everyone a little outdoor time I took Della and Elvis out for a hike. It was chilly but I was dressed for it and was motivated to keep moving. Unfortunately Della and/or Elvis seemed to want to stop every ten feet or so to sniff something they thought was interesting. I may be an asshole, but I'm out there for my own exercise and tried to keep things moving along. We got in four miles, ending just as it was getting dark.








MoDean and Rorschach are still with us. Their folks are due back Sunday afternoon. Rorschach was limping on Friday after overdoing the pasture runs I guess. Friday was a lousy day anyway, so they were mostly in the shed taking it easy and staying warm and dry. I gave him an anti-inflammatory pill and he seemed slightly better Saturday. I've continued the meds and he's been staying mostly inside. No more pasture runs for him on this visit anyway. I still want to try Della and MoDean together to see if they will play. Hope to do that Sunday morning.




I've agreed to take in three German Shepherd siblings whenever they can wrangle the surrender and transport from the current owners. Possibly tomorrow, maybe next week. Arrangements are fluid.


Paisley and Elvis sharing a big dog bed.



Della and Elvis in Chico's crate after I cleaned it.



That's about it for today I think. It was breezy and chilly, but the sun was out more often than not today and it was possible to convince yourself that spring is on the way.


No comments: