Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Making progress

Sturgis went to the vet today and got vaccinated, microchipped, and neutered. And his heartworm test was negative! That moved him closer to adoption. Also, I was pleased that he walked on a leash from Daneland to the van and from my van into the vet's office with very little resistance. Our walk yesterday may have had some positive effects. I'm sure it did actually, it's just that every bit of progress is slow with these guys.

When I got him home I cleared the yard of other dogs and then he walked nicely with me back to rejoin his brothers in Daneland. This evening I just sort of asked them to all go inside and they did. They've definitely gotten into the routine of sleeping inside and last night there was no pee or poop, which I really appreciated.

In the evening I loaded up Norman and Chico and we went for a training session with Erika. We walked quite a bit and it went better than I might have expected with Norman. Chico is used to walking with the Gentle Leader now and he doesn't fight it. Norman didn't so much fight wearing it, but he displayed his go-to move when he doesn't want to do something, flopping down on his back to become dead weight. Erika dealt with that better than I would have so I just walked Chico. Chico also met a cat and seemed very interested in it. The cat didn't care for the vibe it was getting from the dog. He wasn't overly aggressive, but it was far from a disinterested response.

Much like three shepherds, there was no huge breakthrough moment, but they are making progress.

Sturgis arriving a the vet.

Walking out of the vet's office later in the day.


He hopped into the crate in my van entirely on his own.

Re-uniting with his brothers back home.

Norman, learning some manners.











No comments: