Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Idiot wind

Wind makes dogs and horses stupid. They become overstimulated with all the smells swirling around them. It makes them crazy. It was one of those days. Beautiful and sunny, but quite breezy. A blustery day.

I took Della and Elvis out for a three mile hike. That was fine, they are an easy pair. We encountered a couple of horseback riders on the trail. I pulled the dogs a good 20 feet off the trail and they passed uneventfully while we exchanged pleasantries. I was glad I was walked with Delvis instead of Chico who wouldn't have any idea what they were or what to do. 

Later in the day I took the two visiting Danes, MoDean and Rorschach, out to the pasture along with Della and Elvis, as we had done yesterday, but today I added in Maya and Paisley. Maya is no problem; they met and everyone went on their way as I knew they would. I wasn't so sure how it would go with Paisley, however, and especially on a windy day when everyone was keyed up and acting extra stupid. Paisley's idea of "playing" is to run up on a dog from behind and bite them on the butt. No one else is fond of that game. She has finally learned to skip the butt nipping part of the game, usually. Fortunately she didn't do it with either MoDean or Rorschach. 

I got my mower started and rode around as the dogs ran. There was a lot of rowdy craziness but everyone was enjoying themselves. Several dogs were in front of me running up the trail as I was headed back up to the gate. I looked ahead and was surprised to see an uninvited participant had joined us. The dogs got there before I did of course and they met Chico for the first time. I had been thinking I'd introduced Chico to them out in Daneland, hoping that he would engage them in play, but I hadn't done it yet and was planning to do it in a more controlled manner. 

But that wasn't the situation we were in. We had Chico meeting the two Danes, nose-to-nose, off leash, with me still about 100 feet away. Rorschach was a little pushy with him, but I yelled at everyone to take it easy and keep it friendly and they did. I shot off quick text to Clay to come out and bring a couple of leashes with him. It all went well but I did separate Chico from the Danes and brought him back inside. Chico had been in the a/c yard, a fence that he had not previously climbed, but I guess seeing us all in the pasture having fun without him was too much temptation and enough motivation to get him up and over the fence. He climbed the 6' fence to get out and then climbed or jumped the 4' fence to get into the pasture to join us. 

That was enough excitement for me and we just brought everyone back in after that. I would like to get Chico to play with the Danes for a couple of reasons. They need the entertainment and activity, he needs the activity and exercise, and I was hoping that if he's with other dogs and having fun he would stay put and not climb the fence. Chico goes in to be neutered tomorrow, however, so it will be a while before I can let him out to run and play like that again.

Elvis on today's hike. 

I don't know if he had ever seen horses before but they didn't bother him.



Our three mile route from today.

Monster MoDean makes his mother Della look so small.

Rorschach and Paisley, heading in opposite directions.




MoDean is easy to spot even in the tall grass.

MoDean and Rorschach running up the trail towards me.

Maya

Paisley had a great time. I couldn't get her back in the house until dinner time.


Rorschach and Della (MoDean is standing behind Della).


Everyone was running randomly, without any purpose. 
That was the influence of the wind.



Chico, pursued by Rorschach and MoDean.

Chico is still pretty much a puppy and they realized that, 
but I think everyone will like him better after he's neutered.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart ❤️