Sunday, March 26, 2023

Everybody walks

Sunday was a beautiful day right from the start, nothing but clear skies and sunshine. I hadn't logged many miles for the last couple of days and was determined to change that today.

I started off with Della and Paisley. Della is going to be greatly offended if she doesn't get to go first. We went about 2.7 miles, pleasant, uneventful walking. Della was a bit annoyed with me, however, because I would not let her stop to sniff as often or as long as she wanted. Sorry, but I've miles to go and calories to burn.

I did some work at home on the computer before setting off on the second hike of the day with Elvis and Daisy. I hadn't walked Daisy with another dog since she's been here, but they've all been out in the yard together and I figured that Elvis was the one least likely to provoke or have a problem with Daisy. They trotted along together for another 2.3 miles, bringing me to five miles for the day. 

I did some more work online after the second walk and then loaded up for my third and final hike for the day. Maya hasn't been wanting to walk with me lately and that's fine but I thought I needed her for this one because I wanted to take Fargo. I thought that Maya would model good walking behavior as she always does and I hoped that he'd be more comfortable with her going along. I used both a harness and a slip leash on Fargo and I needed them both, and more. 

He walked, but he didn't want to and I was basically pulling him along behind me for the entire two miles. I got more exercise as a result but my back paid the price. There were a few brief moments when he was walking entirely on his own power so maybe he was enjoying it then, I don't know. Even Paisley, who was scared of me in the beginning and would pull as far away from me as possible, even she supplied her own momentum when walking, unlike Fargo.

I think I'll start bringing him in the house, to a crate in my office during the day this coming week. I know he'd rather be outside with his brothers, especially in this spring weather, but he needs to learn to be a shepherd and no one out there knows anything about that either.

I didn't get Chico and Norman out today but they spent the day outside in Daneland. I had planned to take them to the pasture at least, but I was too tired for that after the last two miles with Fargo. Six out of the ten dogs living here got out for a hike today at least, that's pretty good.

Paisley

Della







Daisy and Elvis



We went to Decipher for a beer after dinner at Mockingbird Saturday evening
and people asked me where Elvis was. He has a fan club.

Daisy crossing a shallow stream.


Fargo

It's always nice to walk with Maya.





Seven miles.


No comments: