Sunday, March 12, 2023

Snowy Sunday

We've had no measurable snow this year. We had a slight dusting on one occasion but it was gone the same day. But when I woke up this morning and checked the weather on my phone, it said it was snowing outside and snow was in the forecast until about 1:00 p.m. Maybe it was snowing aloft, but nothing was reaching the ground, not even flurries or rain. But it was supposed to be a wet afternoon so I got out and got started early. 


First I took Daisy, the rottweiler, for the two mile road walk at Pleasant Grove. She was very excited. I found a harness that fit her well and she walked really nicely on the leash, no pulling. If I stopped to take pictures or something Daisy would go into her happy dance, jumping around but not jerking me around on the leash, which I appreciated. She was good and we'll definitely be doing it again as often as I can.




Two miles with Daisy.


MoDean and Rorschach were due to go home today and I wanted to see if Della would play with MoDean so I took the two of them out to the pasture. They actually started getting into play mode as soon as I let MoDean out of the Daneland. We went to the pasture and they figured it out pretty quickly, both seemed interested in making it happen.



They had the right body language, both were clearly interested, but Della ran off 
and he didn't go after her at first.

He finally followed her and feigned interest in whatever she thought she had seen (deer).
And they finally got a start but weren't sure who should lead and who should chase.

They worked it out and had a good run. 
Della had to prove that she was faster.






There was still no precipitation so I decided to try to get in a second hike before the rain started. Chico was up next, but first, a digestive update. He had no more vomiting or diarrhea in the crate last night. I didn't think he would because I hadn't put any food into his system for more than 24 hours. I gave him a small breakfast and will give him about half his normal amount this evening as well.





The precipitation started about the time that I started the walk with Chico. It was just a really light drizzle at first, but it soon became very wet snow. It was too warm to stick or accumulate and I didn't see a reason to stop so we kept going. In fact we kept going for four miles. We had the trails to ourselves, the temperature wasn't bad at all, and he didn't seem to mind the snow so we just kept going.

A pit stop at Sparky's watering hole for a drink.


Snow on spider webs, winter on the verge of spring.

This was a spot without any tree cover and the snow was trying to accumulate.
But this as far as it got around here.

Chico shook off the snow from time to time, but he was a real trooper.

Our four mile route.


MoDean and Rorschach went home, reducing our total canine population to six, temporarily. I needed to make a trip to Lowe's and took Elvis along. He loved Lowe's, just trotting along next to my cart, wanting to stop and meet any people we passed. He didn't quite understand the difference between meeting people in a store vs. a brewery. As far as he was concerned, it was a social event and of course they wanted to meet him. Many of them did. 









No comments: