Thursday, August 18, 2011

Jeez, what a day

I'm not sure where the day went, but I really didn't goof off today, it's just been a full one.  I finally finished my work about 11:00 p.m., but I've had so much coffee today that I'm not ready for bed, and so I blog.  
Annie, loaded up and heading to the vet

Riddle and new girl (Annie), went to the vet to be neutered and spayed, respectively.  I had a stop at the grocery store on the way home, so by the time I got back home, had everyone fed, and got to work it was about 11:00 a.m. 

About the middle of the afternoon I loaded up Roman (last weekend's returned shepherd) and we headed to the SPCA in Charlottesville.  A potential adopter, or at least a foster, had come out to meet my shepherds yesterday.  I wasn't sure we should even try Roman based on his behavior on Sunday.
Roman, enjoying the dog yard
I guess I need to back up.  On Sunday when the former owner brought Roman to Gainesville he was very aggressive towards Schatze and barked at every dog he saw.  I just let him spend the day in the air conditioned van, he was traumatized enough and I didn't want to push him.

Roman and Trooper do the male meet and greet
When I went to the van at one point to take him out for a break, he was obviously scared and skeptical of me and gave a low growl.  I left him alone but when we got home I was able to get him out and into a kennel by himself with no problem.  Monday he spent watching me and doing a fair amont of barking at other dogs through the fence.  Tuesday he had decided that I was worth getting to know and he would come up to me for petting and affection, but he was still on a hunger strike.  By Wednesday morning the barking at other dogs had stopped and  he had eaten some of his food during the night.  When the potential adopter came out on Wednesday afternoon she brought her two dogs, both females.  We put the two girls into the dog yard and I approached with Roman on leash.  The dogs sniffed through the fence, no barking, so we went on in and I dropped the leash.  Roman was fine with them even when one of the females tried to dominate him.  The dogs seemed like they would work out a relationship, but I wasn't sure about Roman and cats, so today I took him to town to meet some. 

Roman, relaxed and enjoying himself finally
Roman was pretty good, he ignored most of the cats we met.  One that was up on a perch above his height caught his attention and he gave a bark but didn't lunge, pull, or otherwise make any aggressive move towards the cat.  I gave a quick and certain correction with the leash and collar and that was all it took to get his attention off the cat. 

I have now let Roman into the dog yard with Trooper, Luke, and Ryland and he seems to be enjoying the company and has had no problems with that group.  So, Roman is settling in pretty well, and faster than I expected given his initial reaction on Sunday. 

After our cat visit, I went over to Old Dominion to pick up Annie and Riddle.  After a little outdoor time to do their business they came into my office in crates to recover.  Annie vomited, just water and some grass that she ate, but that's not unusual after anesthesia.  Both seem pretty content and comfortable this evening. 

I inquired about Max, the black lab, when I was at the vet's office.  He's doing fine and his first surgery is scheduled for September 1st.  They are treating him for a nasty ear infection right now and want to get that resolved prior to surgery.  I'm happy to announce that we've collected enough funds to cover the estimated cost of the surgery at this point.  I don't want to discourage anyone from still making a contribution because estimates sometimes are exceeded, but we certainly have enough to get underway.  I will get thank you notes written, but please bear with me, it's been a busy week.  There's one more new shepherd coming tomorrow. 

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Glad to hear Roman is settling in, I always feel sorry for the dogs when they are suddenly uprooted from everything they know. Wonderful news about the funds for Max! It is nice when we get a chance to see the better side of human nature.