Friday, August 12, 2011

The quick and the dead

 Thora was an unanticipated arrival. I got a phone call yesterday from a VGSR volunteer needing to find a place for this dog and her puppies. I'm not exactly in "intake mode" right now; I'm trying to reduce the canine population around here. But this was a call from a volunteer who had previously adopted from me, twice. I might have been able to say "no", but one of those previous adoptions had been a senior dog, so the woman is a walking saint, even in my non-religious view. This woman and her husband have become volunteers and fosters for VGSR and they have taken in a couple of my fosters, including Sadie, a somewhat senior mixed breed, and had found her the most excellent of homes. So you can see my position. This was someone I would do anything for if asked, so I knew I would say "yes" when she asked for a favor even before I knew what it was. Lucky for me she wasn't asking for a kidney or I'd be at the hospital now.

Thora was somewhat vocal on the drive home, about 2.5 hours from up near Stasburg, VA. I asked, but she didn't have a favorite Glee soundtrack CD, so we tried several on the way home and Vol. 3-Showstoppers- seemed to be her favorite, or at least it had the most calming effect on her. If I would reach behind my seat and put my fingers through the crate, she would rest her chin on them as I drove.

The pups were already weaned and they went elsewhere so I just had to go pick up Thora. She has been a good mother but this is the last of too many litters of pups she has produced. Between bad care and raising pups, she's not in the best condition right now and was somewhat distraught about being separated from the puppies, but today she starts a new life, where she will be valued for something other than her uterus.

My second stop of the day (aside from a Starbucks and McDonalds on the drive home) was a stop at the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA where I picked up Jeremy's cremains. I don't mean to sound morbid, but I'm glad to have him home again. He will take his place in our columbarium. If you know the Rescue Rainbow Bridge story, Jeremy will be waiting for me there one day.

Before I sat down at my computer to get back to my work day, I listened to phone messages and read email. Both contained news of donations coming in for Max's surgery. Thank you. Thank you all.

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

Rest in peace, Jeremy. Thora does look a little worn out, but she'll be beautiful after some R&R at Kamp K-9!

Jennifer Q said...

Thora is gorgeous! You are too kind for words!

I am glad you have Jeremy back... that just breaks must heart and its hard to believe hes actually gone...