Sunday, August 14, 2011

Touch me

Riddle is a German Shepherd Dog, but he acts like a rottweiler.  He craves contact and really responds to touch.  He is a very tactile dog.

He was at his first outing today since I got him last week.  We went to a VGSR adoption event up in Gainesville. 

I asked a trusted volunteer to handle him and he was wonderful.  She brushed some of the dead hair off of him so he looked good and he had a great time. 

Turns out that he loves people, all people, and he loves nothing more than being touched. He loves petting, hugs, and he likes to lean.  He was good with other dogs too, but he was more interested in the people. 






Luke and Schatze went along too and they were good.  I may have alternative foster homes lined up for them, at least for September. 

Riddle's behavior was exemplary and I think he really enjoyed it, in fact I know he did.  And I have a couple of prospective foster homes, but still it was a long, hot, tiring day.  And I brought back one more dog than I took because Roman was returned today. 

Roman was scared, unhappy, and dog aggressive, so he spent the afternoon in a crate in the van with the air conditioning running.  He was probably the most comfortable of any of us.  I got home feeling rather down, but stopped and brought in yesterday's mail, which had a note from my mother along with a check for Max's surgery.  The note helped my perspective a bit.  Referring to the collection of funds for Max, it read:  "I'm glad this is happening; there are some good people out there." 

Riddle's ecstasy, the laying on of hands



3 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

You have saved a lot of lives recently, and it sounds like there are a lot of prospective fosters/ adopters in the wings. Summer is winding down, so hopefully the dumping will slow and the adopting will pick up!

Darlene said...

Riddle really is a great dog! He did enjoy the event, tail wagging all day.

Anonymous said...

Riddle sure is a beauty. Does VGSR allow dogs to be adopted to homes with invisible fencing?