Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Oh happy day


I'm rapidly moving into vacation prep mode, which is always rather stressful.  I'm counting noses and deciding who is going where or staying at home while we are away.  So it was a very happy surprise when I got an email and later a phone call from a man who had met Schatze earlier this summer and now wants to adopt her!

I had forgotten about this guy but instantly remembered him when I got the email.  He had met Schatze up at a Gainesville adoption event a while back.  He had a month long trip to Montana in the works so the timing wasn't right for him then.  I remember being disappointed, because I liked him, he liked the dog, and he had none of the usual obstacles to a successful adoption.  He lives alone, is retired, no cats, no other dogs, wants a companion.  That's perfect for Schatze who wants, and needs, a one-on-one relationship with her person.  She's gotten too attached to me and I can't give her what she needs. 

The cool thing about this is that the guy called the rescue within hours of arriving home.  He's ready.  He lives way the hell and gone over on the Northern Neck, but Clay and I are going to drive that way on Saturday to meet the guy and hopefully place Schatze in her new home.  She will be so happy.  She has been insisting upon coming in lately, even during the day.  She doesn't mind being crated, but she wants to belong.

I like those needy, tightly wrapped, daddy's girl dogs.  So cross your fingers or your paws, light a candle or blow one out and make a wish, perform your favorite superstitious ritual, I really want this to work for Schatze. 

I picked up this little dog today, who looked rather lost in the big crates in my van.  I brought her home for the afternoon, set her up in a crate outside in a shady spot on the grass, and then took her to a temporary boarding kennel until a foster or adopter is found. 

5 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

Good for Schatze.

Need more info on the new pup. Way cute.

Lorraine said...

God Bless you Schatze... You're in my prayers

BudsBuddy said...

Three cheers for Schatze and the Montana Man! I wish we could clone him.

Darlene said...

What a great birthday present for Schatze (she just turned 6 on 8/28). Fingers are crossed.

Risa said...

Fingers and paws crossed for Schatze. I know that she wasn't an easy placement.