Friday, August 19, 2011

An even dozen

I'm calling her "Newest Girl" at the moment because she just arrived today.  The shepherd previously known as "New Girl" is now Annie.  Newest Girl arrived late this afternoon from Harrisonburg.  She is petite, rather young (I would say under 2 years) and right now she's being rather vocal.  I'll introduce her to the others tomorrow, for now she's in a kennel by herself where she can see and be seen by the other dogs.

If my math and memory are correct, I think she brings our total of foster dogs to 12.  That would include:  Bo, Maddie, Schatze, Roman, Ryland, Luke, Sparky, Thora, Gypsy Jr., Annie, Riddle, and now Newest Girl.  The gates are now closed and the entrance is one-way until after vacation.  I need to move some out and I can not take any more in.  But I have a couple possible adoptions and two or three offers to take a foster.  I hope to end the weekend with fewer dogs. 

Newest Girl's story, like all of them, is a heartbreaker.  Apparently someone was seen throwing the dog out of a moving car and then speeding away.  This occurred in a park in Harrisonburg.  What a sorry piece of human excrement. 

I think she's closer to one year than two.  She is very petite and her tail is as long as her body.  Still, she's all the female shepherd anyone could ask for in a small package.  That tail is held high and she's full of confidence, although it remains to be seen if that is true confidence or mere shepherd bravado. 

I think I'll have to let her meet at least Roman this evening so I can put the two of them into the shed together for peace and quiet in the neighborhood. 

Riddle and Annie have been crated all day.  Riddle is eating and acting normal, but I'm keep him indoors through the weekend anyway.  Annie isn't barfing anymore and she hasn't eaten today so I know she's not feeling great.  The spay surgery is tougher and takes longer to recover.  Both dogs are good at doing the stairs, both up and down, and are good in their crates. 

1 comment:

Alli said...

There are some cruel people in this world. I am glad she seems young; it means less time she had to spend with those jerks. Thank you for taking her in. She looks very sweet.