Thursday, August 25, 2011

Medical needs

I'm down to 9 fosters at the moment, but 4 of them have medical issues requiring various medications and special handling. 

Riddle is doing better, his scrotum is shrinking, and although he's still coming indoors to a crate at night, I'm giving him more outdoor kennel time during the day.  He gets two antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory medication twice a day.  Fortunately, he gobbles up everything in his bowl, no need to hide the pills in canned food or pill pockets. 

Candy is coughing slightly less, but whether that represents a clinical improvement or just the effect of the cough suppressant, I'm not sure.  She gets doxycycline twice a day and the cough medication 3-4x per day.  Her meds are small and the pill pockets work well for her. 

Yesterday's vet visit (my third this week) was with Thora.  I pulled her out of the kennel with Sparky and Gypsy Jr. when they ganged up on her again the first of this week.  She wasn't hurt, but I noticed several new spots of missing fur.  I first thought that someone had ripped off a chunk of skin and fur, but looking closer realized that her skin was red, inflammed, and terribly itchy again.  I had her vaccines re-done and did the 3-way heartworm test as well since we were there.  She is now on prednisone, cephalexin for the skin infection (two pills), and doxycycline because she tested positive for Lyme.  She is kenneled by herself now too, which is good because she will only eat her twice daily pills if I hide them in canned food, and that's the only way she eats much dog food as well. 

And then there is Bo.  He had his final heartworm treatment this week and is back home, still on doxycycline twice a day, and on prednisone as well.  The pred is a problem, because it makes him drink a lot and urinate a lot.  I have set up a small kennel right off the front porch and put a cover over it for shade.  He is going to be there mostly until we taper off the pred to the point that he can control the  urination. 

I think I'll be able to move Riddle to another foster or adopt him prior to our vacation.  I'm talking to someone about fostering Bo and he will be off the pred by then, which will make crating him indoors so much easier.  Candy's only problem is the cough and that should be gone soon, so I hope I can find her a temporary foster while we are away.  Thora is looking like she may need some special care.  She will certainly still be on medication but I hope we will have the terrible allergic reaction under control by then.  I don't know why it flared up again so badly unless she's allergic to straw or the food she's been getting. 

The weekend isn't sounding too promising in terms of weather for adoption events, so I'm not sure about the prospects for getting anyone else adopted out. VGSR is in Gainesville on Sunday, and Saturday I was planning to go out with Animal Connections to a local vineyard for a big event, taking Maddie and Ryland. 


Today was the first day all week without a vet visit, but I had an appointment with my own doctor instead.  Just the routine, 6-month check up and blood work, but I was down about 10 lbs since my last one!!!  I stopped at Giant on the way home to buy some fish to grill for dinner (heathy eating), but also picked up a box of celebratory donuts.

No comments: