Thursday, August 11, 2011

Riddle in, Max out

This is Riddle.  I pulled him from the Fluvanna shelter yesterday.  He's going to be gorgeous dog.  He's very thin right now and his coat is dull, dry, and lifeless.  I guess to a lot of people he may not look like such a great dog.  But the look in his eyes is full of life, he's got a tall, straight-legged frame, a big, well-shaped head, and that beautiful red and black coat that I love. 

I'm worming him now and he needs to be neutered.  I'm not sure about his age, but he's not an old guy and he still acts very young.  I'm going to guess about 3 years old for now. 

He was a stray and no one came looking for him.  Judging from his condition, he was better off in the shelter and now with me than he was with his prior owner.  He's the one that I didn't pull when he first became available because he was found to be fence climber.  I put two  6' x 10' kennel panels on top of one of my kennnels to contain him last night.  He is now in the big kennel Schatze and the female black lab, Maddie.  I think that the female companionship will convince him to stay put, but he will need to go to a home with either an electric fence or a strict leash walking routine.  Of course, neutering will help too.  My plan is to get him neutered and then pass him off to another foster home sometime in the next week or two.

My pictures of him are not great, but if someone can look at him and see his potential rather than his current condition, they are going to end up with one very nice German Shepherd Dog. 


Max and I went to town today and met up with his new foster mom, nurse, and all around angel. 

He's a great dog, even if I can never get him to sit still for a decent picture. 

He is going to love all the activity and attention he gets being a real home instead of a kennel in someone's backyard.  I will never understand the mentality of people who think that having a dog in a small outdoor pen is "having a dog."  The dog certainly gets nothing out of a life like that and the people miss out on what having a dog really means. 

Max is going to have a better life than that.  His surgery is scheduled for August 24th. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Riddle is very handsome. I am excited for Max to get a chance at living a good life.

BudsBuddy said...

Good news for both dogs. I suppose the next question is, how are Maddie's hips?

Jennifer Q said...

I think Riddle is absolutely stunning! I love the black and reds myself.. but, I am bias because of Echo! :)