Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lab available: "As is"

Max is the male half of a pair of black labs I took in from an owner/dumper this summer.  He spent last weekend with a potential adopter and did well in her home with the other dogs, kids, etc.  We both thought that an adoption seemed likely. 

The problem arose when a vet examined the dog, not that I blame the vet.  She observed that Max was underdeveloped in the hindquarters so we did an xray, and sure enough, he has bad hip displasia.  The poor man's hip surgery is called an FHO.  It's not a hip replacement but most dogs do ok with it and it alleviates discomfort, arthritis in the joint, etc.  However, it's still a cost that most adopters don't want to take on.   The rescue could get it done for about $600 per hip, which is a substantial discount, but I'm not in a position to house and rehabilitate a dog after that kind of surgery. 

He's a young dog, about 3 years old or so, and I would hate to euthanize a dog that young with a treatable problem, but I'm not really sure what to do about him.  Ideally, of course, I'd like to place him in a home "as is" if I could find an adopter prepared to take on such a dog.  I wouldn't expect an adopter to give the dog two total hip replacements, although if they were willing and able to do so that would be fine.  I think it would be perfectly reasonable and responsible to take the dog and give him a good life for as long as he can have a good life.  Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements will help to some extent and anti-inflammatory drugs may give him a good quality of life for some time.  How long, I don't know. 

The other option, potentially, would be for the rescue to do the surgeries, if I had someone who could get the dog through the recovery and rehab phases.  Last weekend's potential adopter may be interested in doing so and may even adopt the dog after that, but can't afford the cost of the surgeries by herself. 

I'm just sort of thinking aloud as I write this.  Max is active and seemingly normal now, it's not like he's hobbling around.  He's quite active and playful, but the xrays don't lie and he's going to have a problem somewhere down the road.  They say that he would do better in the long run to have the FHO procedure done sooner rather than later--before a lot of arthritis sets in, while he's still young and strong and will recover quickly, etc. 

I guess the first thing to do is to look for an angel, someone who wants this dog "as is" knowing that he's going to have needs and may not last as long as another dog his age.  Failing that, I'm going to need to raise some money. 

3 comments:

Matt McDaniel said...

I had to go through HW treatments with my chocolate lab. I was lucky since I was still considered his "foster" at the time, Lab-Med stepped up and paid about half of the total bill. They might be worth checking into Brent, whoever his 'Angel' will be could use this available resource as long as he is considered a "foster". They would be ineligible, however, if he is their personal dog.

Here is some guidelines that might offer more insight since he is definitely a Lab, at least a Lab-mix...

http://www.labmed.org/aid_guidelines.html

Ann said...

Remember a few months back when you got a call about a Golden, and I took her instead? She's also 3 yrs old, and I sent her home just 10 weeks ago. Found out this week that she's in the same situation, and she had FHO surgery yesterday. I'm just extremely grateful that the new owner adores her, and took this in stride and without blinking did what he had to do so that he'll have a long time with his new baby!

BudsBuddy said...

Max seems like he would be very adoptable after the surgery, and I'd like to help him get to that point. I'd be willing to match any gifts from Brent's other fans (broadly defined) up to a total of $300, which would provide half the funds that Max needs.

I could possibly take him in during recovery and rehab, depending on the timing and what is involved. Brent, please keep me posted on his status.