Thursday, April 19, 2012

Here we go again

I was back at the vet with Nero late this afternoon.  The infection has returned with a vengence.  The culture showed that it is no longer susceptible to the medication we used last time, so we've stepped up to the next level, which requires a daily injection.  That's not much more problematic than giving the pills that I couldn't touch, but the medication may be damaging to Nero's kidneys.  We did bloodwork today to establish a baseline and it will need to be repeated in three weeks with a urinalysis in two weeks. 

Realistically, the prognosis isn't great, but I feel like I've got to give it a shot.  My main emphasis will be trying to make sure he has a good quality of life in the coming weeks, and towards that end we went out to the pasture for some mowing and running this evening.  It's sort of my version of the Make a Wish Foundation for dogs. 


















I had one more stop in town after the vet, and that was to pick up Tomas.  What can I say, he's a great dog all the way around.  He was a little nervous coming to a new home, but he went right into a crate and made himself comfortable next to Trooper while I was out in the pasture mowing with Nero.  He has met Cabell, Bremo, and Trooper so far and he's been fine with them.  He's trying to get Trooper to play up here in the office, so I think he will enjoy some dog yard time tomorrow. 



No comments: