Sunday, April 1, 2012

Getting back in the groove

I always suffer from some post-vacation depression.  It's just hard to get back to the daily grind after a week away in a fantasy world.  We got home early Friday evening, in time to reclaim the dogs from their various boarding facilities.  I should have given baths right away, but I crashed early instead.  Saturday morning I loaded up the van with three crates and three dogs (Augie, Lana, and Dixie) and headed into Charlottesville to the Fluvanna SPCA's "Purrs and Paws" adoption event.  There were a number of other rescue groups there, and quite a few animal-related vendors as well, in a big tent set up next to the Petco in Charlottesville. 

No cats for Dixie
It was a great day for the event and there was a good turnout of potential adopters and other people.  I really only had one shepherd to take, Dixie, because I still need to make sure Nero's infection is gone before I start taking him out.  But I had Augie and Lana, who love a crowd of people, so I went with both VGSR and Animal Connections dogs. 
Augie spent much of the afternoon trying in vain
to nap in his crate in the middle of the crowd.
He was happy to be back home in the evening.

I had what seemed to be pretty good interest in all three dogs, but we will see what happens with the follow up in the next week or so.  I stayed from about 10 a.m. until after 4:00 p.m. and all the dogs were wiped out.  I took Dixie to a potential adopter after the event, but learned that she will need a cat-free home.  That knowledge didn't come as a complete surprise, but now I know for sure.  I then took Augie to a potential home where I think he will fit in well.  The other dog in the home was just recently spayed, however, so I think we will wait a week or so to give her a chance to heal before introducing Augie as her sparring partner.  She was ready to play with him now, but we all agreed that waiting a week would be prudent.


Lana, soaking up the love.
Lana had some interest yesterday as well.  She absolutely loved the attention and petting.  She's too powerful and jumpy to go to a home with small children, however, and her greeting style with other dogs is still a bit domineering, but she sure loves people.  This was actually her first adoption event.  She loved it and unlike Augie who tried to nap in the afternoon, Lana didn't want to miss a minute of it. 

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

Welcome home, hope you had a good trip. Missed your blog!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I hope you had a wonderful time. The dogs all missed you, as did your loyal fans.