Sunday, April 22, 2012

One out, one in, more on the way

Tomas
I didn't go up to Gainesville today because with the cool, rainy weather predicted it sounded like we'd have to be inside.  That's too many dogs in too small of a space, and the four I took would have been too much.  Besides, rainy day dog adoptions are tough.

I stayed home but I did send Tomas to a new home.  It was a referral from a friend, genuine dog people, good home, about an acre of yard under a 5' fence, a female dog companion, and very little time alone.  Tomas took to them right away and, of course, they loved him.  I have every reason to believe it will be a good match and a great home for the dog.  He's just an awesome dog.  That was the good news. 

Radley and Hank


They weren't even out of here before his spot was filled, however, by Radley being returned after a month in his new home.  I made a mistake adopting to a home with small kids and no fence.  He was very bonded with and protective of his family and was always great with the kids.  But neighbor kids were over, playing and screaming like kids do, and Radley bit one of them on the butt. 

Radley and Hank (dancing), Lana feeling left out
The best thing for all concerned was for Radley to come back to me and that's what happened.  I really need to stick with my "no cats, no kids" rule. It sounds like another prior adoptee, a shepherd, may be coming back as well.  For much the same reason.  Shepherds can get protective and possessive.  I think mandatory training for adopters may be in order. 

I've got two others waiting in the wings and no adoption events for two weeks.  I'm probably going to work a little rearrangement around here to accomodate everyone and in the meantime I need to work on my website listings for all the fosters.

Fortunately, Radley's return seems like a smooth transition.  He has met Lana and Hank already and was welcomed into their play group.  He's a good guy and was an easy foster.  I'll just have to find him a child-free home.  Gay and lesbians need to pick up the pace on the recruitment drive. 

Radley, Lana, Hank
Lana was pushy but Radley didn't react.

1 comment:

cdturner1 said...

Richmond Animal League's Woofstock is on Monument Ave., in Richmond this Saturday. I haven't seen the list of the groups coming, but VGSR has been there at least one year. You might want to check on that.