Friday, April 13, 2012

Wise eyes

The beautiful weather continued today, as did the storm of shepherds.  I went to Charlottesville to meet Tomas.  The dog is beautiful and probably the best behaved and best trained 10 month old shepherd pup I've ever met. 

The secret isn't really a secret.  The owner runs with him every morning and walks with him again twice in the evening.  They get a lot of exercise and a lot of one-on-one time.  He sits, downs, stays, just for starters.  He's also neutered and up to date on everything,  How often in rescue does that happen?  Rarely.  And with a well-trained, gorgeous, 10 month old pup?  Never.   No bite history, no behavior problems, just an owner in a bad situation. 

The owner is actually someone I adopted a dog to about 10 years ago.  That dog died sometime last summer, I guess.  He contacted VGSR to adopt again but wanted a young one, which I didn't have.  He bought Tomas as a 6-8 week old pup from some Amish people who raise puppies as a cash crop (don't get me started).  Obviously I don't recommend that, but he has worked wonders with the pup.  He's a big fan of the Monks of New Skete, and whatever he's done, it has worked. 

Tomas was a little skittish around me, but he definitely wanted to check out all my smells.  (I am a walking smorgasbord of canine olfactory stimulation.)  He would even initiate play with me, but would then scoot away when I responded in kind.  He has wise old eyes, but there's still some goofy pup in him too. 

He's a highly desirable, highly adoptable dog, there is no question about that.  I did question the owner pretty closely, however, to make sure he wasn't making a permanent solution for a temporary problem.  I wouldn't want to take his dog and then have him regret it. 

I didn't take the dog today.  I have enough here already.  Lexy is going to move to another foster home this weekend and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that another one may be going as well.  I told the owner I'd contact him next week and take the dog then.

1 comment:

facebook said...

He is just beautiful!!! I hope the owner has a temporary problem and not a permanent one. It would be a shame to have to give up this wonderful dog!