Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday's child


Jake arrived today.  He's enough German Shepherd to make up for the part of Hank (from yesterday) that is not.  He's a really good looking dog, surrendered by an owner--"moving" was the reason given.


Although it's rough on the dog, and a burden on shelters, rescues, etc., any dog given up by an owner who has no commitment to the dog is probably going to be better off in the long run.  Jake apparently cowered from his owner but came right up to the rescue volunteer who picked him up and brought him to me today.  But, at least this owner made an effort to find a good placement for the dog rather than dumping him at the shelter on his way out of town, or abandoning him in situ as many people do.


Jake has no vet history and is unneutered (don't let me get started on that one), but he otherwise seems to have been fairly well kept.  He's shy but not fear aggressive, just not sure who he can trust.


I brought him up to my office rather than putting him in the kennels with the other fosters.  I think he will get along with the household dogs and he can be Lana's buddy after Augie goes to his new home on Sunday. 


He's about two years old, apparently housetrained, calm, very good looking.  I expect to have a number of people interested in him when he gets posted.  He's laying behind my chair as I am sitting here at my desk. 


We don't know what day of the week Jake was born on, but borrowing one from the fundies, he was reborn today, making him a Friday's child.  Friday's child is loving and giving.  I can believe that about Jake, once he finds someone worthy of his love and gifts. 

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

If he coward from his owner, that kind of tells me everything I need to know about the jerk. Jake's lucky to be out of there and in your home.

Anonymous said...

Jake is a good looking guy. Bet you won't have him very long!