Thursday, April 12, 2012

It rains, it pours

We haven't had more than a drop of rain since we got back from New Orleans, and that's fine with me, it's keeping down the pace of growth of the springtime grass, which would otherwise be keeping me busy with non-stop mowing.

What has been raining, pouring even, since our return is the number of shepherds in my intake zone.  I was almost low on shepherds with just Nero and Dixie, but then came Hank (not exactly a shepherd but he is a VGSR dog), and Jake (very much a shepherd).  Yesterday brought Rex, and also this new girl, Lexy.  Tomorrow I'm meeting another young (10 months) male GSD in Charlottesville.  Clay is going to be sorry he left town this week. 




Lexy is lovely.  She is eight years old, but you would not know it from the way she looks or acts.  She has just the least little touch of gray beginning on her muzzle.  Her eyes are clear, bright, and alert.  These pics of her playing with Jake in the dog yard were taken Thursday morning just before Jake went in for his neuter surgery. 




Lexy is the product of a divorce.  She had just one original owner, although someone else "tried her out" for about a week before she came to me yesterday.  She's well-mannered, good indoors, and crated without a problem last night although it was probably her first time in a crate.  She doesn't need one, but it helps me out because I had four fosters indoors last night.  She is chilled out in the corner under my desk as I am writing this.  I'm not sure if she'd be considered a long haired or a plush coated shepherd, but she's a big fluff ball.  I would have no hesitation leaving her loose in my house when I was gone.  On top of that, she may even be cat-friendly.  She met a test cat yesterday nose-to-nose and paid it no attention.



Lexy has made me realize that I miss having a girl dog in the house.  She follows me everywhere and seems genuinely interested in what I'm doing.  The boys just lay around waiting for me to do something that interests them.  She's a great dog, but I do hope this storm of shepherds stops soon.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beauty! You won't have trouble placing her if you decide to let her go.