Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Sunday in Gainesville

Lana
Nero and Krypto
I went to the VGSR adoption event up in Gainesville on Sunday, taking Nero, Hank, Dixie, and Lana. 


Hank
The usually busy shopping center seemed deserted in comparison to a typical Sunday.  Petsmart was open, and Lowes, but quite a few of the stores were closed.  I was suprised as I really didn't remember that many retail places being closed on Easter.  Maybe I'm not normally out and about on Easter myself, I don't know.  The crowd was light, but that was ok because it was the first outing for Lana at that location, the first for Hank anywhere, and the first for Nero in quite a while.

 
Nero was quite good and only freaked out occasionally when he saw me and realized I wasn't with him.  Dixie was good and had a good time as she always does.  I was pleased with Hank.  He was good, charming with people and good with other dogs, wasn't scared, and he learned a few things from his handler. 


Lana was good, but my goodness she is a handful.  I held her, at least until my arm got tired and then she went back to the van so we both could rest.  She is extremely affectionate with people, but she tackles them with her hug.  I didn't really let her make much contact with other dogs because of her dominant greeting style.  I think she needs a few weeks in a southern ladies finishing school to learn some social graces.  Actually, I suspect that if Lana attended a southern ladies finishing school she would start a football team and probably lead them to a state championship.


Jack

Dixie
Former foster Jack was there.  He's still in foster care after being returned six years after his adoption as a puppy.  He moved to a new foster home several weeks ago, they are the adopters of one of Jack's littermates.  Jack probably needs to be an only dog, he doesn't share well and doesn't show well at adoption events.  He's fine with people but growly at other dogs, especially pushy ones. 

Krypto the Superdog
We had a visit from Krypto at the Gainesville event today.  Krypto (Superman's dog) was our Woody, one of the two survivor parvo pups.  He is still just as cute as he can be.  One ear up, sometimes two (if his head is tilted back), sometimes both stuck out to the side.  He is sweet, cute, and he assumes that everyone loves him and wants to play with him, both human and canine.  He has already been through one puppy class and will be doing the advanced class.  It was great to see him.

Clay with Augie
The ride home was very quiet, you would never have known I had four dogs in that van.  Shane was taken in by another foster home, so I didn't have him to bring home as well.  I was happy about that; there's no shortage of dogs around here. 


Augie's adopters came out to pick him up about 4:30.  They were happy to have him and he was happy to go off with them.  I'll have to pair up Lana with someone new starting tomorrow, but that will be a good experience for her.  Unless I can find a rugby team that wants a mascot, we really do need to teach her some manners. 

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I love the picture of Clay with Augie. Super cute.