Monday, March 2, 2015

The Wild and Not-So-Wild


Max and Maya are my everyday walkers,
and I try to get another one or two out as well,
when possible.
It's been tough getting many hiking miles in lately. I didn't hit 100 miles for the month of February (just 83) and that's the first time in many months that I haven't. It's become enough of a habit that I miss it when I can't do it, and I feel the difference. I suspect my weight is slipping back up a little bit too due to the double whammy of being shut indoors and being so bored that there's nothing to do but eat.

When I do get out, it's generally been for short walks, but I managed to put together a few 3 and 4 milers recently, in between new rounds of snow and ice. Walking in the snow is tough; it must burn a lot more calories than dry land walking, it sure feels like it afterwards anyway.
Trooper, Maya, and Max walk well together.









This was another day, a series of three walks,
Maya plus one, starting with Trooper.

Max was up next.


And finally Daisy.

We walked the field trails and the roads up at
Pleasant Grove, a total of about four miles.
Shepherds look best in profile.
Monday's hike was four miles on snowy and muddy
trails, with Maya and Max.
Both dogs had a lot of pent up energy
and they really pulled me along today.
That was ok for the most part; I needed
the assist.





We were the first new tracks on many of the
routes we were on today.


We had to cross a stream that was
party frozen but swollen with melting
snow. The dogs could cross on the ice but
I went in up to my knees. It was all very
Jack London, but we were not lost nor far
from home.






























In the not-so-wild category, we have this picture of Charlie (below) from his new home. He lives in a beautiful spot in the country, half way up a mountain, and they also sent a couple videos of Charlie out playing in the snow, but he has this to come in to, and I'm very happy for him.

Charlie is a good dog and he waited a long time for it. He deserves it.



No comments: