Monday, January 17, 2022

Bear spray and a baseball bat

This snow wasn't as deep as the last one, but it had a crust on it, a layer frozen on top thanks to the sleet and freezing rain that ended the precipitation yesterday. The dogs aren't crazy about it because it's not strong enough to support their feet, but it's harder than just plain snow. I'm just glad there wasn't as much as last time and particularly glad that we never lost power. 

I technically had Monday off as a holiday, but the work continues to come in and anything I don't do on one day is just waiting for me along with more on the following day. So I worked for much of the day, tackling a tedious project that I don't have time for on a normal day. The wind was cold and it was cloudy most of the day, so it wasn't exactly a pretty day to be outside anyway. But the dogs need their exercise and they were up for it, so I let the three fosters, Declan, Sidney, and River, out to run along with Della, Max, and Maya, while I cleaned the snow and ice off the cars.

Rough play can sometimes get out of hand and it did today. The excitement level was very high and everyone was running around. I'm not really sure what set it off but Declan and Sidney were ganging up on River when I got involved. I always say that I don't get involved in fights between male dogs, they are usually self-limiting and will end faster if I stay away. But this was two on one, and those two are way bigger than River, and I like River. I looked around but had nothing at hand that seemed helpful. I was wishing for a can of bear spray and a baseball bat, but what I did was grab Declan by the collar and haul him over to Daneland and close him in. I went back to go after Sidney but by the time I got there they had broke it off. River had a wet back and neck but actually no injury, which confirmed what I've always said about boy dog fights, they are mostly sound and fury. In contrast, the much shorter altercation between Maya and Della last week resulted in a hole on Della's leg that she's still licking and tending to a week later. 

I think it scared me more than anyone and I am going to get a couple cans of spray deterrent to hopefully have available if needed in the future. River spent the rest of the day indoors with the other foster boys banished to the dog yard. I also got River upstairs for the first time this evening. It was time he was learning to do stairs. Besides, it's warmer up here and the crates are larger.

Max (with ball), Sidney, and Maya

Della and Maya going after something interesting.

I have a lot of pics of Declan like this because he always runs directly to me.

River, kicking up his rear legs on the run.


Sidney and River

You can see here that the play is pretty rough, but it's still play.

Here's everyone in one picture, Max, River, Sidney, Della, Declan, and Maya.
Serena was indoors. She's doing better but I still didn't want her running on that leg.

I think this is where the play turned ugly, River has gone down and Sidney and Declan are on him.
Fortunately Maya and Della stayed out of it. 

Maya

Max and Sidney

Sidney





Declan's fur is growing out again. I am anxious to see him with his full coat.






No comments: