Sunday, January 16, 2022

A second snow event

The first snow event of the season caught everyone by surprise it seemed. The roads weren't pre-treated, and they didn't get started on the plowing until it was all over. We were unprepared at home as well, having failed to store water or do any of things one does to prepare for a power outage. 

We are as well prepared this time as we were poorly prepared last time. We've got buckets of water in the bath tub to use for flushing the toilets, we have drinking water in jugs for us and the dogs, and of course now we have a generator that would enable us to maintain some semblance of normality if the power goes off. We aren't getting as much snow as last time, but the threat of freezing rain and consequent tree damage is still a real possibility. Hopefully, the fact that we are prepared will mean that we won't lose power.

It was a cold and blustery day and the dogs were very content to be inside, for the most part. Max wouldn't come in for quite a while, but Max has the best coat of anyone so I expect he just didn't see the need. The fosters are all short coated dogs and they were happy to come inside. Sidney is better about coming through the door now, but I still need to be careful not to yell or otherwise startle him as he's coming in.

Della started bugging me for dinner about 3:30 p.m. because the clouds made it dark enough to feel more like 5:00 p.m. When I opened the door she got hit with a blast of cold wind blowing sleet; she wasn't so keen on going out or staying out for longer than it took to eat dinner.

Serena report:  I think she's definitely moving better on that lame leg, in fact I'm sure she is although it's not entirely normal yet. On the downside, however, she barfed up her morning food this afternoon, along with a piece of a goddamn tennis ball she had eaten. I don't know if the vomiting was due to the tennis ball fragment or if it was a reaction to the heavy dose of antibiotics she's getting. For dinner I still gave her the antibiotics, but I skipped the anti-inflammatory drug and gave her an acid controller and a dose of cerenia. So far, she's kept dinner down. 

I had work to do today and have been going outside every couple hours to knock the snow off the pop-up tent we've got protecting the generator. 

Either he just wasn't cold or the voices in his head were messing with him today, but
Max did not want to come in with the other dogs after breakfast.

He would sit on the snow covered boardwalk and look at me as I called him to come in.


Serena is moving better but I'm not ready to let her run and play in the snow yet.

Maybe it's the cold and the snow, but Sidney is much better at coming through the door into the house now.


Della doesn't care for rain or snow, especially if driven by wind.
She will be happy to run and play in it after the sun comes out, but when it's falling she's content to be indoors.

Maya in her spot under my desk.

Sidney has no problem with the stairs so he comes up to my office and enjoys the biggest dog bed in the house.

Della will wait until the sun is out to play in the snow.

I'm very relieved that Serena is finally doing better and hope that trend continues.

Maya eating at Max's usual feeding spot. I feed everyone differently in bad weather.

Della ate inside the shed with Maya rather than her usual spot outside the back end of the dog yard shed.

After Maya and Della were done, I brought the three foster boys outside to eat. Serena and Max both ate indoors, Serena in a crate and Max in the bedroom.

Sidney, River, and Declan all eat the same amount of food, about 3.5 cups twice a day.

River's ribs still show, but he's putting on some lean muscle.

Declan ate on the porch of the shed, while River and Sidney were inside. River and Declan tend to swap food dishes as they eat, but Sidney doesn't care for that so I separate and supervise while they eat.

Sidney has full house privileges during the day, but I do crate him in the office at night.

I crate River and Declan indoor for the most part. It keeps River from eating things that he shouldn't, and it keeps Declan out of the way.


No comments: