Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Evening out the numbers

There was a time when our foster dogs always outnumbered our own. We may have had five or more of our own, but there was a time when I had kennels set up outdoors and we'd have 10 or more fosters at any given time. I'd drive four shepherds up to northern Virginia on one day of the weekend and attend another adoption event with Animal Connections on the other weekend day. I don't want to go back to that, but I have many fond memories of those days and the people involved with those organizations, and of course, the dogs. 

I took apart the outdoor kennels, now we just have the dog yard and Daneland as outdoor dog space. Both have buildings appurtenant to them that can be pressed into service as shelters when needed, but as a rule all the dogs come into the house at night. That means we have fewer fosters and we try to keep the total number of dogs to "single digits" as Clay likes to say. We only have four dogs of our own now, and have had just three fosters, so only seven in total, well under ten. Today's arrival only brings us up to eight, but it means we now have as many foster dogs as dogs of our own.

But no one could fault me for jumping at the chance to take in this pup and help him find a great home. He's a German Shepherd Dog puppy, maybe six months old, and he's just gorgeous. He's from my local county shelter too, so he really was meant to come here. I picked him up this afternoon and then put him and River together out in Daneland for the rest of the day. The pup is crashed out in a crate in my office right now. He's a sweet little thing, and he must have kept River busy outside today because River is crashed on a dog bed in the kitchen. 

He's not neutered yet, and he doesn't even have a name, but he will be available for adoption through Green Dogs Unleashed.











2 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

He is adorable!

Risa said...

Oh my, how cute is he. Bet you won't have him long.
And I don't do adoption days anymore. But like you, I have fond memories of the people and dogs I met there. Most of them anyway.