Thursday, January 20, 2022

Declan

I have to keep looking at those pretty snow pictures from a couple weeks ago, with the sun and the clear blue sky the day after we had a foot of snow. Because what he have out there now is nothing but mud, muck, and mire. I'm not sure of the distinction between those three, but I'm pretty sure we have them all right now.

As a foster home, I always prefer to show my dogs in the best light possible. No one wants to adopt a big wet dog on a wet muddy day. But there are exceptions and I know I've placed some big dogs on terrible days. I remember one person who came out here with their own dog and played in the pasture with a foster dog for about an hour and then loaded the muddy mess into their car and took them home. That was the situation with Declan today.

They didn't take him today because they have some family visiting for the weekend and they need to acquire a crate large enough for him, but they came out while it was spitting sleet or snow, let him get them good and muddy, and even practiced getting him into the car to prove that they could do it when they come back for him next week. 

Declan showed his sweetness and also how much training he lacks. The woman was persistent, however, didn't reward bad behavior and did have him sitting pretty much on command by the time they left. Those are the kind of adopters you want for a big dog because they weren't afraid of a little, or even a lot of mud and mess. 

I hope it will be drier when they come back. I doubt that the mud will be dried by then, but even if it was frozen solid everything would be a lot cleaner around here, including Declan.












He went in one door and came out the others, but there was room for him to lay down in between.
They are already looking a minivan for Declan and their other dogs.


2 comments:

pk24paws said...

I'll miss seeing his photos and hearing about his adventures, but I hope this works out for him!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love adopters like that.