Thursday, May 26, 2022

Improved poo

On Wednesday Clay drove a stool sample from the puppies in to the vet. The results came back today and showed nothing. The digestive enzyme I started a couple days ago didn't seem to make any difference. They have been eating well and showing modest weight gains and acting normally, but their poop was anything but normal. It finally dawned on me to just switch their food and I did so today. By afternoon they were pooping less and it was better formed. After the fourth feeding of the day, this evening, they were beginning to poop like big dogs. I sent Erika several poop pictures this evening, but I'll spare the rest of you from that. Suffice it to say that I think their digestive tracts are functioning well now.

There's still plenty of mess, but I only had to do one complete mop cleaning today, this morning, and just did spot cleaning and pad changes the rest of the day. Getting them out of their living area to eat and then play is working well. The food mess is out of their living area and they do most of their pooping out there while playing before I put them back in for nap time. I think tomorrow I'll get another exercise pen to block off the porch of the shed so they can come out there as well while I'm in there cleaning up after meal times.

Everyone posted impressive weight gains today and with less mess I can start giving them some more enrichment toys and challenges to help them develop mentally and physically.  


They living space is on the left side of the barrier. The corridor on the right is where I feed them.
They also have the space in the front end of the shed available to play in after eating.

It has been fun watching them learn to get over this low barrier.
At first they would just approach it and jump, going no where. 
They have learned to jump the front half of the body over first,
and the pull the back end along.


I made shepherd's pie for dinner. It was good.

This is Moscato. She is developing a really striking coat.








They devoured four meals today.

After eating, playing, and pooping, they are ready to nap again.



The Lady Chablis. Notice that her right ear is up now and the left is almost up.







1 comment:

koiwitch said...

I’ve said it before, and I’ll keep saying it. I want to come back as one of your dogs! Squee! They are sooo adorable! I love their puppy palace! Thank you for taking such great care of them!