Tuesday, May 3, 2022

A new routine

The arrival of any new dog always requires at least some minor adjustments to the routine around here, often affecting some or all of the other dogs. Puppies are more disruptive to the routine than most fosters because they have puppy needs. 

I have been keeping Tippy and Sly in the dog yard during the day with Tilly. Max stayed inside most of the first day but I knew he was going to need more outdoor time. I closed the divider in Daneland, which reduced Vger's space but still left him a good sized area plus the nicest of the three outdoor structures, the one we brought in for Della's puppies two years ago and call the puppy palace. I'm not running the air conditioning in it now but it has two big elevated dog beds inside and is nestled under the shade of the birch trees. 

Max has the "other" part of Daneland to himself now during the day. That's a change in Max's routine and he requires some adjustment time so I have to walk him to and from it on a leash, and then leash walk Vger once everyone is in place for the day or indoors and crated at night. The pups and Tilly come from the house to the dog yard without leashes, which makes it easier on me, and they do the reverse in the evenings.

The biggest change I guess has been to Max's routine because he previously shared the dog yard with Tilly during the day. It adds some time to my part of the routine too, because I have to leash walk Max and carry his food out to him in the new location. 

Fosters come and go so I'm not sure there's really a "normal" around here. Fortunately everyone is fairly flexible and after a few days they will be accustomed to a new routine.



There are two food bowls there, but they like to share one then move on to the other.

Maya, Della, and the chestnut tree in bloom.



That thing hanging out of Tilly mouth is some sort of horn. 
It's a highly prized chew toy, but Tilly is really the only one who cares about it.

The pups following Maya around the front yard.


Tippy (above and below)



Sly

Tilly has been a very good puppy sitter, but I think she does get tired of it.
I brought her inside for a while this afternoon, giving her a few hours away from the job.


The pups are eating two cups of food each, three times a day,
and devouring it all.


No comments: