Thursday, May 19, 2022

It's all about the poo

The pups all got a dose of wormer when they arrived at Green Dogs and I've been seeing the results today. All their poop is full of round worms, dead worms now, and that's good. I have been taking them meals of warm mush, made with puppy food, pulverized in a blender, mixed with warm water and milk replacer powder. 

This was their first day without any of their mother's milk, and although they supposedly had begun eating solid food, it was not their primary food source. They didn't do much with the mush when I first took it out, but I'd come back an hour later and the liquid was gone, either lapped up or absorbed by the dry food. I would add more warm "milk" to the feeder and they would eat some more of it. We did that several times today and eventually they were all having at least some of it. 

The real proof was when I weighed them again this evening and compared the weights to yesterday's numbers. They had all maintained their weight and most had posted at least modest gains. Considering the trauma they went through yesterday and learning to eat new food, I'm pretty pleased with that. I hope and expect their weights to start taking off as they become more accustomed to the food and are consuming it with appropriate puppy enthusiasm.

Yesterday they mostly huddled together on the bed. I'm used to being mobbed by puppies whenever I enter their space, excited for the food I bring or for play and snuggles. These guys don't know me and they don't see me as a food source yet and they aren't accustomed to being picked up and loved on. They also don't know anything about toys, but I saw at least the beginning of more normal puppy behavior today. 

I introduced a few toys and I can tell they've been moved around when I go out to visit. A couple of them are beginning to show some interest when I arrive and come over to see what I've brought. After the first one does it, the others will follow.

They don't know anything about using the pee pads yet either so I'm doing my first load of puppy laundry this evening and have filled the first trash bag with used pads and paper towels. 

This is Chardonnay.

The pup at the feeder is Pinot, she was the first to come over and eat.


They are beginning to play with each other and are generally more active than yesterday.


Merlot looking much less grumpy than yesterday.

They all sampled it eventually and at least lapped up the liquid.
The more solid bits are an acquired taste but being flavored with the milk helps.




This is Chablis.

This is how I like to see puppies around a feeder. I had to place them there today,
but I expect they will quickly learn that it's the food source.






No comments: