Monday, May 2, 2022

Tired puppies are good puppies

The first night with Sly and Tippy went pretty well. They were crated in the kitchen and they barked a bit when we first went to bed but quickly settled down and we quiet all night. Tippy had peed in her crate by morning, but hey, it was a long night. I put them out in the dog yard this morning with Tilly. I fed the two pups in the shed and Tilly on the porch of the shed with the door closed between them. The pups didn't clean up their food and when I opened the door and let Tilly in, they learned what happens when you don't finish your food. They did not make that same mistake with the evening feeding.

I left the pups in the dog yard in Tilly's care and went back inside because I had an 8:00 a.m. meeting. When the meeting was over I went out to check but found only the female pup, Tippy, in the dog yard. I looked around and quickly realized that I had left the back gate of the dog yard open last night, giving them free access to the pasture. Now it's fully fenced so I wasn't overly concerned, but I had not intended to give them that much freedom on the first day. I spotted Tilly and Sly at the bottom of the pasture along the fence line. I called and Tilly came running, with Sly following behind, trying his best to keep up with Tilly. 

They spent the rest of the day in the dog yard with Tilly, hanging out in the shade mostly because it got really warm today. I'm afraid that spring is over already, today was uncomfortably warm in the sun and it was the first day this year I've really felt the typical southern humidity beginning to kick in.

Later in the afternoon I went out to putter around and do more planting. I took Maya and Della with me and also let Tilly and the pups out of the dog yard to hang out with us. Bored with my gardening, Maya and Della did their own thing but would check in with me periodically. Tilly and the pups stuck with me, apparently still thinking that I'm the most interesting thing happening. 

I know that today was probably more activity, outdoor time, and excitement than the pups are used to. They are tired and I'm sure will sleep well tonight.








OK, puppy identification time. This is Sly. 
Notice that the white on his chest comes up to his neck.

Tilly, Sly, and Tippy

Sly and Della





Sly again, he also has some hair loss around his eyes, although
I'm told that this is improved from where it was two weeks ago.

This is Tippy, you can see the white tip on her tail.

Tippy again, big white splotch on her chest,
and it does not extend up her neck.

Tippy


This is Maya coming to tell me that she's ready to go back inside
and she thinks that I should too.

Sly in front, Tippy laying in the grass.

Maya agreed to wait for a while, but I did take her back in soon after this.


Della and Sly



Della and Tilly had another play session before we came in.

The pups watched the big dogs play but didn't try to join in.

Here's the flamingo garden starting out. I'm always very hopeful in the spring.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

great pics of the pups! Your garden is going to rock!