Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Tilly finds a new home

Tilly had a meeting with potential adopters and their kids and their dog today. It went well, and they want her, but she'll be with me for a couple more weeks yet because the primary caretaker will be out of town. And that's fine because I need Tilly's puppy sitting services right now anyway.

For those who thought, hoped, or expected us to adopt Tilly, that was a possibility but it didn't pan out. As I have said, the next dog we keep will be Della's choice as much as mine. She lost her companion and I know she misses her still. When Tilly came along Della was still grieving from Serena's death and I don't think she was ready to even consider taking on a new friend. And aside from that, I don't think Tilly is what Della would be looking for in a friend. Tilly is still a puppy really, her play style isn't a great match for Della, and I never saw a bond forming. Yes, Della would play with her occasionally, and I was very happy to see that, but it didn't go beyond that. They didn't hang out together.

I hope that Della will find another companion some day, but I know it's not something that can be rushed or forced. Della's connection with Serena was pretty much immediate from the moment Della arrived here. She's had plenty of time with Tilly, and Tilly is a wonderful dog, but she's not the one for Della. Moreover, Tilly deserves a home that's perfect for her, and we are not it. Tilly needs more attention, touching, and affection than she can get in a home with the number of dogs that we have. 

Tilly is a wonderful dog and deserves a home that treasures her and I believe we found that home today. She's going to have two adults, two kids, and a canine sister. Tilly got along with all of them today and they all exchanged as much love as they could in the time they were together. A couple more weeks is well worth the wait, and as I said, I plan to take advantage of Tilly as a puppy sitter and role model in that time.


















1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

So happy for Tilly!! This is great:-)!